Berghaus vulcan and Centurio dramas

jenko

Dec 17, 2011
Australia
Hi forum. a logn time lurker here hoping some of the venerable members might be able to advise on the following :)

I just ordered a new Berghaus vulcan and Centurio pack from major UK supplier and noticed no shoulder straps came with the MMPS side pockets on the vulcan so they can't be worn as daypack. Are these straps normally included as part of Berghaus vulcan purchases?( as they were advertised as such)

I also found removing the MMPS side pockets from the vulcan they would not install on the 30L Centurio as the zips appear to be configured upsidedown and wrong side on the centurio!I can get the pockets onto the centurio but only if they are upsidedown. I assume these pockets(and their zips!) are supposed to be compatible on either pack?

Thanks for any advice.

Jenko

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I assume these pockets(and their zips!) are supposed to be compatible on either pack?

That's an incorrect assumption....

When Berghaus designed the Original Crusader (the pack that came before the Vulcan)

They configured the Zips in the same oirentation as the Current Centurion MMPS.

Then the MOD came along and produced the British army PLCE Bergen which is a copy of the original Crusader they changed the oirentation of the pocket Zips on the PLCE pack.

With so many PLCE side pockets floating around and with what had become the Vulcan aimed squarely at the UK Military market Berghaus modified the Zips so the zip size and the oirentation made them compatible with PLCE side pockets and all of the PLCE compatible pouches like med kit pouches etc... Thus it remained untill Berghaus introduced the Centurion and the MMPS pockets. These use a different zip oirentation to PLCE so you have to purchase Berghaus MMPS pockets. IMHO this is just a marketing exercise to ensure you have to buy those pockets, if the pack was for serious military use then you'd want to make is as compatible as possible with PLCE.

The Vulcan should ship with the straps for the Berghaus Side Pockets if the pack is new.

Berghaus do have good customer service so if yours are AWOL then they will be able to sort you out.

HTH

jenko

Dec 17, 2011
Australia
thanks for the reply but not sure about the 'centurion' and PLCE as my q relates to the new 30Litre 'centurio' daysack and the current vulcan currently being sold by retailers. For which according to berghaus themselves and demo vids on youtube(eg the ones simplyhike.co.uk does) both use the MMPS pouches interchangebly.

The side zips for my centurio seem to have been stitched wrongly, eg upsidedown- so the MMPS can only be fitted upsidedown on mine:). This would appear to be a factory fault. I think I will just find someone who can unpick and restitch the zips as I am not a european customer and the returns policy is going to result in me paying more shipping costs than the pack is worth.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Mate,

AFAIK The Vulcan side pockets are not the same as MMPS side pockets.

So they do not interchange between the Centurion day sack and the Vulcan.

Berghaus sell the MMPS side pockets which fit the Centurion and the new Crusader Bergen...The MMPS ones have a Fastex style buckle closure as well as a zip where the Vulcan side pouches just have a zip.

The Vulcan comes with its own side pockets which fit it and any other pack that takes PLCE side pouches...similarly any type of pocket or pouch that is compatible with PLCE will fit the Vulcan but will not fit the Centurion or New Crusader. If you want side pockets to fit the centurion you have to buy the Berghaus MMPS ones or get a set of old PLCE pouches and swap the zips around or swap the zips around on the pack itself...

Cheers

John

Last edited:

jenko

Dec 17, 2011
Australia
Thanks, great so I should have bought the new crusader not the vulcan basically to have my clever plan of MMPS interchangebility. I did research on this before I bought but obviously not enough.Well at least my naivette may benefit some other new buyer if these posts show up in a search.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thanks, great so I should have bought the new crusader not the vulcan basically to have my clever plan of MMPS interchangebility. I did research on this before I bought but obviously not enough.Well at least my naivette may benefit some other new buyer if these posts show up in a search.

I wouldnt beat yourself up, speak to One Planet in Melbourne they might be able to sort the zips out on the Centurion so it will accept the Vulcan sidepockets and any PLCE type zip on pockets or pouches. Then you have a lot of choices...

Kiwi Disposals in Auckland have heap of the old green PLCE side pockets these have a better closure zip and are larger in capacity than the Vulcan ones...

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I had the same problem, my solution was to buy 4 compatible zips (YKK sometinglon??)and stitch them together( fabric to fabric) as adapters.

hope this makes sense, I'll try and post some photos if it doesn't.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
On my old crusader with the upside down zip I simply stitched a plce zip on to the original one so that PLCE fit and if I ever find the original pouches appear they will also fit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE