Bergan mods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
I've seen a lot of photos/ comments on the web from people who have the british army bergan/ copies (karrimor, berghaus etc) where they have made modifications so that they can fit an additional 3rd detachable side pouch onto the front. Does anyone know how they have done this? Cheers. Ps I don't actually own one yet so sorry if it's really obvious if you have one.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've not done it myself but I understand that you source another pair of side pockets, and butcher one for the zips - which you sew vertically in place of the existing small pocket - sounds simple enough!

ATB

Ogri the trog

With luck someone will post a photo soon enough.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
Alternatively buy a bergan like the Dutch Army Sting with molle on it. A lot of people fine the British bergan uncomfortable because it's designed to be used with webbing. I bought a used Dutch bergan and added molle pouches to it instead....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Waylands_Bergan-1.jpg

What I did on mine was to add an extra pair of zips to the centre pocket.

PLCE_Mod-1.jpg
PLCE_Mod-2.jpg

This gives you a firmer fixing as one pair zips to the bergan and the other zips to the side pouches.

Worth noting that my centre pocket is a flatter one, made to carry a frying pan and not throw the balance too far back.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Waylands_Bergan-1.jpg

What I did on mine was to add an extra pair of zips to the centre pocket.

PLCE_Mod-1.jpg
PLCE_Mod-2.jpg

This gives you a firmer fixing as one pair zips to the bergan and the other zips to the side pouches.

Worth noting that my centre pocket is a flatter one, made to carry a frying pan and not throw the balance too far back.

Oooo like that one.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Cheers guys, I'm thinking of the karrimor version, I just want to add some more capacity to it as I may be going away for six months and that is a nice pack wayland

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
This mod is next on the list for my vulcan just so I can put one of the karrimor pouches on the front, I have also put extra pockets on top of the side pockets, these were made from the top of a spare pare of side pockets.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Easy job, I put a small ni k in the elastic near the bag , thread a large blunt needle with coton through to the buckle attache your new elastic and pull through, stitch the elastic in place at one end, pull some tension on and stitch the other end. I used 2mm elastic cord, takez about 15mins.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ozzy as you describe it does that mean you have the tail! Of the elastic between the buckles so you can cinch it up once you've closed the lid? Hope that makes sense or do you mean small nick near the bag on one side thread through the new elastic to the the other end near the bag, tension and stitch!?? Either works I suppose???😏 may have just answered my own question😮

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A small nick at the bag end and another at the clip the tail end cut off and the 2 nicks stitched up, this is then repeated on the other side.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Ahhh I see that does the two sides leaving the middle between the buckles. A third option I like. Thanks for your ideas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE