Beowulf: Return To The Shieldlands.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I certainly think the pearly white teeth is a problem. Bear in mind the old kids comics with one of the kids gang always had a bandage round their jaw (abcess) and people giving their daughters the gift of having all their teeth pulled.

For all of the historical inaccuracy, my main problem with the Uhtred adaptation is that it was just badly done. Bear in mind that the Sharpe adaptations of the same author were pretty damned good - so it can be done well. All the pathos and drama of the original Uhtred story were lost - he should be a young lad at puberty at the hall burning, he spends ages learning battle skills doesn't miaracuolously just "know" them etc.

Doubtless the idea of a 12 or 13 year old boy sleeping with a girl and going to war, however historically accurate, would offend the Mary Whitehouse brigade of curtain twitchers so all the grit and drama has been cleaned up - and the story os worse for it.

absolutely well said Red, what also nanoyed me is that they completely bypassed the tactics inherent in the books. Each battle in the novels is played out to varying sound tactics, as these were warriors after all. In the tv adaption they went for the whole "lets throw two small armies together in a rabble and randomly pick one to win, hooray!"

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I love these threads where we all get a cathartic venting of our spleens, makes me chuckle to think the majority of the tv audience probably don't blink an eye at all this, i bet it is a similar feeling for a cop sitting watching cop shows

Dreadhead

I love these threads where we all get a cathartic venting of our spleens, makes me chuckle to think the majority of the tv audience probably don't blink an eye at all this, i bet it is a similar feeling for a cop sitting watching cop shows

NO! IT'S NOT THE SAME! I want to be righteous in my fury... haha :lmao:

...In all seriousness I think you're most likely right ;)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Well I actually enjoyed the last kingdom series. Not read the book though, so perhaps that helps. Anyhow, isn't one of the beauty of stories that they get re-told and to an extent constantly change?! Also if i wanted authenticity, I'd read a history book rather than watch a TV drama.

That said, I get the same fury watching military in portrayed in films - especially over the state of peoples berets! So i'm guilty as well....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do not like to watch dramas made from books I have enjoyed ... the pictures in my skull are better than the pictures on the screen and the acting is better :)
One exception is "Sharpe" - I forgive that the errors and slips as I have found (except for the obvious like the exploding cannon balls and lack of numbers in crowd scenes) pretty darned good.
The trouble with watching a film or drama set in an era you have more than a passing interest in is that you probably know more than the folk responsible for the production - I mean - just look at that awful film Waterloo! Total pish! (I was living about 20m from Waterloo when that film came out and Napoleonic history is a bit of a "thing" for me...especially the uniforms - and the battle of Waterloo!)
I have not watched Last Kingdom, Beowulf - nor Lord of the Rings - as I know I will be disapointed and rant at the screen!

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
I saw clips of the making of it on the local news in the summer/autumn last year ( I lived 7 miles from the old quarry they filmed it in and never heard of it doing the local (Weardale) economy anygood) and I didn't like what I saw,I don't have a tv now so can't comment on the show as a finished product.

m

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

When I was at Uni we used to play spot the balls up when watching casualty...

Dreadhead

I made the mistake of watching the first episode today whilst working away. I composed myself, and kept it to a mild chuckle and kept working whilst thinking la la la la it's just fantasy shennanigans ignore it la la la la la

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I made the mistake of watching the first episode today whilst working away. I composed myself, and kept it to a mild chuckle and kept working whilst thinking la la la la it's just fantasy shennanigans ignore it la la la la la

You saw the leather armour right?

MWHAHAHAHA! :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry Hamish I was just trying to wind you up. ;) It was the weaponry & hall that really got me going. Especially the Conan the barbarian sword and the crazy axe at the beginning. At least there were no horned helmets like in Doctor Who.

Dreadhead

Sorry Hamish I was just trying to wind you up. ;) It was the weaponry & hall that really got me going. Especially the Conan the barbarian sword and the crazy axe at the beginning. At least there were no horned helmets like in Doctor Who.

haha Conan the barbarian is EXACTLY what I was thinking, and aye that axe at the start is clearly made of foam it's about an inch thick!

You know Lindybeige is right on their doorstep as it was filmed in Geordieshire, they should have bent his ear for some advice :lmao:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It was a bit of a cheap GOT rip off but oddly it did not infuriate me as much as Last Kingdom did for the simple reason that is obviously pure fantasy and does not pretend to be "history".

Fantasy is fantasy but history should be as accurate as it is possible to be.

The "Vikings" series earns some leeway from me for the same reason.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
haha Conan the barbarian is EXACTLY what I was thinking, and aye that axe at the start is clearly made of foam it's about an inch thick!

You know Lindybeige is right on their doorstep as it was filmed in Geordieshire, they should have bent his ear for some advice :lmao:

I'm waiting for his spotlight of ire to be turned onto it, Will be a Lloyd Rants no doubt. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE