bending wood

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Does anyone know if there is a reasonably straight forward way of bending wood? I want to make a walking stick for my mother with a curved handle.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This is a method I had described to me.

Make a jig up in the shape you want the handle to be bent to.

Get a metal bucket and fill with damp sand then heat it on a fire

Once the sand is hot push the handle end of your stick into the sand and leave for 30-45 minutes

Take the heated end and stick it in the jig then leave until it's cool

Remove from the jig and you've got your handle.

Depending on the thickness of the handle you may have to shave it down on one side to acheive the curve without it cracking.

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi, as above - but also have a look at "Stickmaking" by Andrew Jones + Clive George.
You also might want to consider using pre-formed buffalo horn (unfinished) so that the shape has been made but you have to transform it from the rough. Unfinished wooden handles are also available. Google stickmaking supplies

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If you have a hot air gun as used for paint stripping they are perfect for bending sticks. Clamp stick in vice at top of straight section, apply plenty of heat and bend to shape by hand. Easier of you cut your stick a bit long so you have an extra bit on the end of the curvy bit to act as a lever. Pull it to a tighter curve than you want for the finished stick and tie it in place it will spring back just a little when you release it. You can do it with direct heat over a fire or gas torch, this is the method Spanish basket makers use but all the methods above work well. Just use the easiest method to suit yourself to get the inside of the stick really hot before bending.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
We used to steam oak and maple at work (15mm x 45mm) using a purpose built steamer, or if you happen to have 2 wall paper steamers (these have a limited steam time and require cooling before re-fill) you could use these one at a time with the stick inside plumbing waste pipe. The steam (hose) goes inside one end & escapes the other. (you will require Gloves to handle the very hot wood)
We steamed for approx 4 hours before the bend was attempted. (some bleaching occurs)
always leave plenty of over hang you need this to help with the leverage to form the bend and clamping. clamp to a pre formed shape, and work quickly as the bend wont fully form if the heat is lost.
As said above, cut to size after the bend is cured.

I believe I have seen on "you tube" a guy who makes a bow saw and part of the process is bending hazel? over a camp fire. this may be an alternative to try from any of the methods given above. Sorry cant recall the guys name, very interesting to watch his vid's though. not sure this method will achieve the tight bend you may require.

good luck.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I do quite a bit of bending with both steam and dry heat. For more extreme bendings i find steam better and for lesser angled stuff a heatgun. If the wood has a high moisture content still it is best to avoid the heat gun as it can rapidly dry the wood causing checks. I would steam over large pan of boiling water keeping the steam contained over the bow/stick with a tinfoil lid for about 25 mins minimum,, then get it bent into your form within 20 seconds max. Cover with insulation cloth for a while and remove when cold.

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
If you have a hot air gun as used for paint stripping they are perfect for bending sticks. Clamp stick in vice at top of straight section, apply plenty of heat and bend to shape by hand. Easier of you cut your stick a bit long so you have an extra bit on the end of the curvy bit to act as a lever. Pull it to a tighter curve than you want for the finished stick and tie it in place it will spring back just a little when you release it. You can do it with direct heat over a fire or gas torch, this is the method Spanish basket makers use but all the methods above work well. Just use the easiest method to suit yourself to get the inside of the stick really hot before bending.
This is the way that was recommended to me by several on the Bodgers site. Better than putting over a hob, etc as it doesn't burn as much ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE