Benchmade Mini Griptilian

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
I'm really thinking of investing in a Mini Grip as a alternative carry to a fixed when I am in the Peaks. Finding I need a fixed less and less to compliment the SAK that I always carry when wild camping around the Kinder Scout area. Im thinking less weight to carry and more discrete use.

Been using a cheap Dozier Ka Bar Hunter the last couple weeks and it's a great little knife, concerned about the strength with it having no liners.

It's only recently I have delved into the world of folding lock knives, always been a fixed kind a guy! So I know nothing about what's good or bad. I do know I don't like Spyderco. They look way to tactical for me.

So what do you guys think about the Mini Grips? 555 / 556 / Doug Ritter?

Should I get one? Any other suggestions? Are there better / Cheaper alternatives? Anyone got one they don't want?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a Doug Ritter Griptilian, I think its a fabulous little knife, it is with me every day and has been used hard for nearly ten years now. I find the grip and locking mechanism very comfortable to use. And the blade holds and edge and can be resharpened on the base of a tea cup. :)

They are however quite pricey to import from the USA and I doubt the blade is any better than the Benchmade ones which will be easier to find over here.

rsk_m1.JPG

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Have a few Griptilians, mini's, full sized, Ritters etc great knives IMO.

Do you really need a knife at all when camping around kinder scout?
If you do won't a SAK do?

Usually take a leatherman skeletool CX, it must have fallen out of my rucksack at some time though, weird thing is several wild camping trips and i didn't even notice i didn't have even a small knife with me.

So now i don't tend to bother carrying a knife at all most the time when out hiking and wild camping

Moose

Feb 20, 2005
Torquay
For cheap alternatives to the griptillian have a look at the Ganzo axis lock knives as they do various models with this renowned lock.

The Ganzo G704 in particular is a tank of a knife that some have said is the best bang for buck lock knife on the market (it is a clone of the discontinued Benchmade 14205- check out its reviews on youtube if you want to see how tough it is).

Also check out the Enlan EL01 for another knife with a reputation that belies its very very reasonable outlay.

That said; neither of these is lightweight. http://www.exduct.com/sells these and other cheap (and less weighty) lock knives to suit most tastes.
The Ganzo G717 looks like a knife that might fit your brief very well....Free shipping on all products too (^_^)

But if waiting for your goods to arrive via the slow road from China is not your thing some of these knives can be had for slightly more from UK stockists if you don't mind looking around.

No connection to the company other than a satisfied customer.

Last edited:

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Thanks for the info chaps!

Only reason I carry a larger blade is that I often gravitate into the woods for a little bushcrafting fix :)

I also just noticed the Ontario Rat 2. Look interesting too.

Thanks again

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks for the info chaps!

Only reason I carry a larger blade is that I often gravitate into the woods for a little bushcrafting fix :)

I also just noticed the Ontario Rat 2. Look interesting too.

Thanks again

If you're likely to be messing about with wood then i'd probably pay the weight penalty and go for a fixed blade.

Folders are often a practical alternative, but any hard use of longer periods of time i find the ergonomics and security of a decent fixed blade far better.

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
Bugger! Think you have just talked me out of buying a new shiney sharp thing!

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
For cheap alternatives to the griptillian have a look at the Ganzo axis lock knives as they do various models with this renowned lock.
The Ganzo G704 in particular is a tank of a knife that some have said is the best bang for buck lock knife on the market (it is a clone of the discontinued Benchmade 14205- check out its reviews on youtube if you want to see how tough it is)

Excellent post.

I have recently purchased 2 of these from a dealer on BB.
To say this is a remarkable piece of kit for £18 (may actually have been £16) DELIVERED is an understatement.
I was a none owner of a BM Axis lock and i bought this dubiously to see what all the fuss was about, it turned out to me my BEST EVER purchase, at this price point, in 40+ years of buying and using knives, it is a fantastic knife.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Silverback, who was the chap on BB mate?

For that price Its hard to resist, what's the blade like on em?.
I'v got a gerber "bolt action" I think they called it, must have had it getting on for 20 years now and its still one of the best locking mechs i'v had....and these dlook similar

Cheers.....adam

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Silverback, who was the chap on BB mate?

For that price Its hard to resist, what's the blade like on em?.
I'v got a gerber "bolt action" I think they called it, must have had it getting on for 20 years now and its still one of the best locking mechs i'v had....and these dlook similar

Cheers.....adam

Adam, rest assured mate that everything about the 2 Ganzo's i have bought is absolutely perfect, i cannot find a single fault with this product, and i am uber fussy.
QC & F&F is better than on some £150+ knives that i own, blade centering, lock up (zero blade play in either direction) the blade glides out on the Teflon washers like glass.
The only thing i had to do was tinker about with the pivot screw a tad to get things absolutely spot on, the blade literally drops back into the detent with no effort.
I have no connection to the trader.
Are you registered on BB?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah I'm on there, I don't think i'v actually posted though.....I try not to spend to much time on the site tbh or it would bankrupt me. Shooting, bushcraft, nightvision, land rovers, and motorbikes leave me close to the edge as it is LMAO, went on there the other day and was eye'ing up a hand made falchion for 350 quid, yeah I like swords too. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE