Benchmade Bushcrafter

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Actually, thinking about it, lots of ancient historians will have met J Ceaser.... just no modern ones.

:p

Anyway....

Back to the knife....

With the great Classical historian, Herodotus, living in the 5th century B.C. and Caesar being killed in 44 B.C., I'm not sure that he would have actually met many ancient historians; perhaps that's why he tended to write his own records of his campaigns. It also allowed him to put his own spin on events...

But, as you say, back to the knife...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Never turn you back to the knife - especially if you are Caesar

I suppose he didn't notice Casca creeping up behind him him. The others, all trained former military men, stabbed Gaius Julius in and around the groin area, just as they had been trained to do.

I wonder if they were using the Classical equivalent of Benchmade knives... Or Spyderco...

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I suppose he didn't notice Casca creeping up behind him him. The others, all trained former military men, stabbed Gaius Julius in and around the groin area, just as they had been trained to do.

I wonder if they were using the Classical equivalent of Benchmade knives... Or Spyderco...

Oh, now that's just not cricket! :nono:

As for the knife. I can't chip in a comment one way or the other, but then I haven't owned and Austin Maxi or Allegro either, but I get the point BearInTheWoods is making... just like Ceasar... ooh it's making me wince just thinking about it :yikes:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If it's any help, I think they were aiming for arteries in the thighs and abdomen rather than... the things you seem to be thinking of.

Oh I'm sure they were, but sheesh! even so it's hardly a sporting way to top someone! "I say, hold still old chap, I'm going to bop you on the noggin with this here hefty stick." seems far more civilised than having someone run up to you without a bye or leave and try to shish kebab your nads.

Yes, still wincing. :cool:

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
Thank you for that. My only reason for an interest was the familiarity of the blade shape. On closer inspection, I don't think it would tick many - if any - boxes for me.

Their folders, however, remain a source of interest for me. I prefer the look of them to the Spyderco equivalents but am baffled by the massive selection available. Which do you think is worth a punt?

I think once you filter out the flippers, autos, balisongs and assisted openers the choice gets a little easier. Then, I think as you're going Benchmade, you really ought to have an axis lock. All still have their pros and cons: the Griptillian range are great value for money, use great materials and have handles thick enough not to be too hard on your hands in prolonged use (relative to other tactical folders) however some people dislike the light, 'plastic' feel of the handles. Have to say this bothers me not on my Doug Ritter Griptillian ( mine has M2 steel but the S30v one is here http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk1.htm ) as it makes for a great light weight carry and has been demonstrated time and again to be as tough as old boots. Mine still looks great. Another advantage of the Doug Ritter version is the higher grind and more acute secondary bevel, being only 15 degrees per side making it a better slicer and pretty capable at whitling. I believe the standard Grips are at least 20 degrees a side, as most similar folders will be (the Spydercos I've had have been slightly more acute though). But then the Ritter version is more expensive.
Up from the 'Grips' is the BM707 Sequel which replaced the old faithful BM705. Nice little sub 3" blade, seems popular but I still like my 705 with the all G10 handles.
The BM710 is an absolute modern classic though the recurved blade can be an issue for many as well as the sheer size.
If I had to pick just one it would be a Ritter Griptillian though standard ones are still pretty highly thought of anyway.
All this being said, I would take any of my fixed blades over any folder for prolonged bushcraft use. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have to say every Spyderco I have handled has left me cold. Square un-ergonomic handles, silly blade shapes - all "collectability" no "utility". BTW I Have a UKPK well stained an re-sharpened in a drawer. Nasty thing. I think there are several Benchmade offerings worth a look - the Griptillians amongst them.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
....... Have to say this bothers me not on my Doug Ritter Griptillian ( mine has M2 steel but the S30v one is here http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk1.htm ) as it makes for a great light weight carry and has been demonstrated time and again to be as tough as old boots. Mine still looks great. But then the Ritter version is more expensive.

I've been playing with the doug ritter mini for the last few days.
I've wanted one for years, but only recently got one for a price i was willing to pay.
Even been battoning some pine, and the lock holds out great.
Not something I'd normally use a folder for, but its reassuring to know it can handle that.

Same as this: http://sgtmikessurvivaltips.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/survival-folder-ritter-mini-griptilian.html

Prefer it over the spyderco ukpk, fallkniven tk4 and eka swede 10 Ive had in the past.

I like the powder steel as well, and find it very easy to sharpen with a dc4 and leather strop.

Frankly it just looks cool. :cool: Too early to see if it makes it into my keepsies arsenal.

I hope it does, I like it.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit I do like the look of the Doug Ritter Mini folder. S30V is a good steel and it has the axis lock mechanism... Could be a goer for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE