Benchmade Bugout 535GRY-1: Just the specs video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Hey everybody, I made a quick and concise video on the specs on the Benchmade Bugout. Before I bought the knife, I watched 20 plus videos and they were all really long and I thought maybe some people would be interested in "just the facts"

If anybody wants to check it out, here it is:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nice concise video.

What do you think of it as a knife? No need for another video, ;) I am just interested in your thoughts. Have you had a chance to use it much, and if so, what have you done with it?

I got to handle one of these knives back in November 2018 and was struck by how it had been pared down for light weight. I always thought that the Griptilian liners were about as minimalist as it got, but this goes even further. My impression was that this would be a great knife for an ultralight hiker who wants something a little more than a SAK, better steel and lock, but really doesn't want weight or bulk. If you are more knife focused it seemed like it was sacrificing too much strength and grip comfort in the name of light weight, compared to a Griptilian.

Chris

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Good work.:)

I’ve been doing similar to you over the grey and blue G10 Grip, watching every overlong and self indulgent video running at over ten minutes is ok...for a while.

My patience watching these vids have addressed the only feature of the Griptilian that caused a bit of controversy. For me, my old black plastic version is a god of user knives, but the handle has traditionally divided opinion. Problem solved, albeit at a cost, I caved and bought one after long deliberation of the knife and the consequences of my purchase regarding my good lady discovering the cost. ;)

I looked at the Bugout, but only really because it’s cute and different. Be good to hear your views in use too. It’s great to see Benchmade look in the mirror, have a decent shave, apply some sandalwood tache wax and look at themselves anew. Grey G10 and blue is pretty daring and modern stuff for these old American stalwarts, I reckon they’ve noticed the need to wake it up a bit.

Bushcraftdave

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2016
USA
Nice concise video.

What do you think of it as a knife? No need for another video, ;) I am just interested in your thoughts. Have you had a chance to use it much, and if so, what have you done with it?

I got to handle one of these knives back in November 2018 and was struck by how it had been pared down for light weight. I always thought that the Griptilian liners were about as minimalist as it got, but this goes even further. My impression was that this would be a great knife for an ultralight hiker who wants something a little more than a SAK, better steel and lock, but really doesn't want weight or bulk. If you are more knife focused it seemed like it was sacrificing too much strength and grip comfort in the name of light weight, compared to a Griptilian.

Chris

Hi Chris, I've the knife now for about month and I carry it everyday. The most common duties have been cutting open boxes and then cutting the boxes down so they'll fit our small trash bins and I take it hiking where I'll do food prep. I've whittled with it making tent pegs to set up my tarp. Nothing I would consider hard use, just typical daily every day things and hiking.

I love this knife and I let everyone I meet handle it and watch their expression when they realize how light it is. The blade is made out thin stock so it's super slicey, barely any resistance at all- it's quite astonishing it. It's still on the factory edge. The scales do bend if you ATTEMPT to bend them inward into each other but for most purposes they don't move at all. The blade is so thin and light that it takes a bit of breaking in before the weight on the blade will close on it's own when you're flicking it closed.

The "mini grip" is a good alternative to this blade. I just love the design and I'm on a bender for ultralight equipment lately.

Good work.:)

I’ve been doing similar to you over the grey and blue G10 Grip, watching every overlong and self indulgent video running at over ten minutes is ok...for a while.

My patience watching these vids have addressed the only feature of the Griptilian that caused a bit of controversy. For me, my old black plastic version is a god of user knives, but the handle has traditionally divided opinion. Problem solved, albeit at a cost, I caved and bought one after long deliberation of the knife and the consequences of my purchase regarding my good lady discovering the cost. ;)

I looked at the Bugout, but only really because it’s cute and different. Be good to hear your views in use too. It’s great to see Benchmade look in the mirror, have a decent shave, apply some sandalwood tache wax and look at themselves anew. Grey G10 and blue is pretty daring and modern stuff for these old American stalwarts, I reckon they’ve noticed the need to wake it up a bit.

Thanks Nice65! Like you, I'm a big fan of the Griptilian line too. I had the Mini Grip and it was a great user.

I like to hike and backpack, so this is ideal for that hobby. The blade is very thin and it slices and dices like a dream. The handle material is somewhat flexible but it hasn't affected my use of it at all. I think Benchmade wanted to make a statement with this knife and pulled out every trick to make it the lightest knife they could. If you need a light duty EDC or backpacking knife, I would recommend this.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi Chris, I've the knife now for about month and I carry it everyday. The most common duties have been cutting open boxes and then cutting the boxes down so they'll fit our small trash bins and I take it hiking where I'll do food prep. I've whittled with it making tent pegs to set up my tarp. Nothing I would consider hard use, just typical daily every day things and hiking.

I love this knife and I let everyone I meet handle it and watch their expression when they realize how light it is. The blade is made out thin stock so it's super slicey, barely any resistance at all- it's quite astonishing it. It's still on the factory edge. The scales do bend if you ATTEMPT to bend them inward into each other but for most purposes they don't move at all. The blade is so thin and light that it takes a bit of breaking in before the weight on the blade will close on it's own when you're flicking it closed.

The "mini grip" is a good alternative to this blade. I just love the design and I'm on a bender for ultralight equipment lately.

Thanks Nice65! Like you, I'm a big fan of the Griptilian line too. I had the Mini Grip and it was a great user.

I like to hike and backpack, so this is ideal for that hobby. The blade is very thin and it slices and dices like a dream. The handle material is somewhat flexible but it hasn't affected my use of it at all. I think Benchmade wanted to make a statement with this knife and pulled out every trick to make it the lightest knife they could. If you need a light duty EDC or backpacking knife, I would recommend this.

Hmm, I get you 100%, but can I justify it over my orange Delica, a highly rated knife that just didn’t look much? I discovered the Delica properly only a couple of years ago, looking at the blade shape and comparing it to the Paramilitary2 but smaller, picked one up for £40 on here. An epiphany! The only Spyderco knife with FRN handles I’ve ever considered apart from a Lightweight UKPK that I sold on without even putting to use. I reckon your Bugout and the Delica are from the same stable regarding intended use, and I have a sneaking admiration for the Benchmade Bugout, it should tick a lot of boxes for first time knife buyers who want a versatile light pack knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE