Belt kit

Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
I'm looking to start carrying a proper belt kit, with all my heavy stuff I would not need during a hike in my rucksack and the light things I would need to access quickly on my belt. I have a pouch for tools (knife flint etc) and my poncho,a bottle pouch and a first aid kit. So what else should I have?:confused:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It'll change with each hike's purpose.
-camera
-binos or mono
-maps/compass/GPS
-flashlight (yes, even in daylight)
-lunch

Whatever you might need to accomplish the exact purpose of the outing; from bird watching to fishing, to caving, etc.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My belt kit has been settling down for a half a century or so now.

Multitool (either a SwissTool or a Charge TTi depending on circumstances) in its pouch.
Torch (single AA cell), tweezers, tiny Victorinox (with another pair of tweezers), lighter, and dead 20A ceramic fuse with end caps removed, all in a second, smaller pouch.
The smaller pouch goes nearer the belt fastening than the multitool, I find it more comfortable that way.
That's it.

If you want to carry a full belt kit you'll probably want to get a shorter rucksack.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
dead 20A ceramic fuse with end caps removed,

What do you use that for? sounds intriguing !

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I'm looking to start carrying a proper belt kit, with all my heavy stuff I would not need during a hike in my rucksack and the light things I would need to access quickly on my belt. I have a pouch for tools (knife flint etc) and my poncho,a bottle pouch and a first aid kit. So what else should I have?:confused:

Many of the things I carry in my pack are divided into pouches that I could carry on my belt, but they seldom are, I'm fairly certain that carrying items on my belt isn't good for my back long term, especially if the weight ends up being a bit lopsided. Anything I need in a rush is usually in a pocket. :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Many of the things I carry in my pack are divided into pouches that I could carry on my belt, but they seldom are, I'm fairly certain that carrying items on my belt isn't good for my back long term, especially if the weight ends up being a bit lopsided. Anything I need in a rush is usually in a pocket. :)

I'd go with a small shoulder bag, much more flexible than pouches,

I go for something of a compromise between these two approaches, like sandbender I keep things organised in my pack in pouches that form a "belt kit", and then I carry that belt over my shoulder like a satchel, like vizsla does. It works ok for me.

On my "shoulder carry belt kit", I tend to carry some or all of the following:

Water bottle pouch containing, '58 pattern bottle, crusader mug, millbank bag, 3-in-1 coffee, spoon.
First aid kit (group sized kit, I'm not listing the contents here)
Big Green Pouch (things that I would normally have on my belt or in my pockets but for whatever reason want/need them to be somewhere else) so, fixed blade knife, folding saw, ditty bag (monocular, insect repellent, flashlight, sharpening stone, spare batteries) and toilet bag (toilet paper, alcogel, lighter).
I often have an extra shell or warm layer looped through the belt too as it's a really convenient way to carry a spare garment.

All the best,

Stuart.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. I always have a army type belt kit. The most comfortable so far that I have is the Molle 2 LBE rig. Why? Because the weight if used correctly is carried on the hips and not the shoulders or the back. I have a damaged shoulder so cannot carry the weight on my left shoulder for long using a pack. secondly the belt allows my back to stay dry and sweat free unlike when I use a rucksack.
I love my belt kits and for me they work. No I haven't had any silly looks or comments from the public about using army gear except ironically enough from Bushcrafters!?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...TBH the easiest "belt kit" is probably a "butt pack"..."

And the ultimate butt pack is a Maxpedition Octa...

P2090009.JPG

:)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
It might just be my shape but Bum bags just slip down an really annoy me. Similarly wearing heavy stuff on the waist belt of my trousers pulls my trousers down and causes difficult decisions when carrying bundles of firewood.

This year I'm moving to a Maxpedition Remora though for 10% of that cost you could get a knock off from eBay to prove concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi.
Yep I like the bum bags too. It depends on how much is being carried. I use a ALICE harness on my Sabercat if Im carrying more weight but I like the versatility of being able to put on/take off pouches with pre packed kit quickly is a plus. As usual it all depends on what you are using it for and personal preference.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It might just be my shape but Bum bags just slip down an really annoy me. Similarly wearing heavy stuff on the waist belt of my trousers pulls my trousers down and causes difficult decisions when carrying bundles of firewood......

Yeah. My "shape" has gone that way too. LOL. I'd like to find a butt pack with suspenders. I saw them in Walmart a few years ago but not since.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I used to carry a set of PLCE webbing comprising 2 utility pouches, and 3 water bottle pouches, with corresponding belt and yoke. In this I could get bivvi bag, tarp, water bottle, crusader, second water bottle, and a pouch full of food. Everything apart from my sleeping bag, which fit nicely in a PLCE side pocket with a sleep matt bungied to the side. I would wear this with a Berghaus Vulcan over the top (with the side pocket attached to it). It was a good way of carrying stuff, but I found it meant I was carrying a lot, and had the manoeuvrability of a small oil tanker... I got stuck in the ticket barrier at a French metro station. This is worth thinking about if you are likely to be trying to get through small spaces. With webbing/belt pouches on you can't even turn side ways to go between those two trees.

Something to think about before you put too much money into belt kit.

These days I have 2 pockets integral to my backpacks waist belt, which contains a first aid kit in the left pouch, and cards, keys etc... in the right. I then tend to have a saw on my right hip on a separate tool belt.

Hope this is of use to you, what ever you go with, do upload pictures and tell us how you get on.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE