Bell Tents!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Another couple of pictures for you :)

013.jpg
007-1.jpg

( just click on the image to enlarge, anyone know how to make them bigger ? )

Last edited:

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I've got a 4m and it's nice and cosy with a frontier stove in it

20160406_081529-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
That's a great photo :)

Thanks Robbie. Should have mentioned that it was -1° through those few nights. But even the always cold other half was really impressed. Another thing that should be said is that,when your stove is really hot, make sure you pile up a few old firebricks on top of it. That way they'll give of heat long after the fire is out :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes.

Living as I do on a campsite I see a lot of tentage.

saw no less than three bell tents this summer (not all together)

They are comming back into fashion

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
The indecision of it all!!

How to choose between Blacks Solace 1 or a Soulpad Lite 4m

Both have removable groundsheets...good...which is better quality or attachment method
Solace has Mesh doors, SoulPad doesn't...is it REALLY that big a deal...both have mesh windows
Solace is heavier canvas.....but which has the tighter weave for water protection?
Soulpad is a bit cheaper...a bit
Solace includes inner tent (probably won't use it) but also free heavier duty groundsheet as well as normal one....
Do they both have rubberised sods? I know the Soulpad does....
Overall weight obviously not an issue really.........
Seeing either set up is all but impossible.........SO....
(actually just found out that SoulPad have a showroom not far from me!!!)

Who has experience of either? I know that they are both well thought of, but any and all advice received will be much appreciated!!

Oh and then there's the Northstar 4metre.........

Last edited:

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
If you live in Suffolk you can go see soulpad at their place, they have all the different sizes of bell tents up? We were looking at a 4 meter bell at the start until we went and saw them and saw the 5 meter was perfect for us.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Indeed Cromm, as I have not long found out, thank you. It seems that their showroom is not far away at all.......but,

However on contacting them, they don't open it on a Saturday, probably the best day to do business, especially at this time of year. Seems odd..........
So, I'm still on home base and none the wiser, really.....

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
I believe they have a campsite they own or are in partnership with that isn't far from their showroom, you could ask them? Or say the only day you can view is a Saturday and if they are not open is there a place that does show their brand of bell tents? It is worth a visit if you can get to the showroom, as they have the tents up and the same tent in its bag so you can see and feel how heavy it is? Sorry I haven't read what you will be wanting to use the tent for, is it just for you or a few people and to carry on your back or by car? Will try and back track and see....

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hi and thank you again!

Cotswold sell them, but I've only found them advertising some tents , not showing them. I did ask SoulPad, but beyond saying they were not open on Saturdays, "with soul" - ye Gods - nothing more has been forthcoming.
What do I want to use it for? In simplest terms, a canvas caravan. A base tent with room to move about over several days if weather is poor, when canoe camping with my partner, and her brother in law in a caravan. Spread out a bit for her? Yes and me!!

Love canvas, don't like plastic tents, (unless back packing, and I don't do that it seems, anymore) don't like frame tents. I like some of the Dutch polycottons, but they are way out of my budget. If some ? compactness is required. I use a Blacks Good Companion standard, with extended fly (love it, have 2) or a lavvu (love that too!!) They are when I'm on my own, although partner has joined me in GC once.

So transport for the bell will be a car...... it'll be 30 odd kg!

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
When we went and had a look if I remember rightly the 4 meter tent was alright for the two of us but not for the family as we was thinking of buying the wood stove also. We went for the ZIG tent because my thinking was it would be easier to keep out the wind and rain also if will had to pack up wet, we could unzip the ground sheet and put it in a different bag and the canvas tent into a different one also, saving on weight in the wet. On hot days in the summer it is nice to unzip the walls and roll them up. We have been away in it when it has been pouring down and the winds are blowing and we have had 4 adults and 2 kids in there with room to move around no problem. But that is the 5 meter bell tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE