Bell Tents!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hello all,

I know this is not directly bushcrafty but I’m sure, as ever, there will be some good advice within the community.

I’ve been fancying a Bell Tent for a long time and I hope soon to be in the position to do something about it having been unemployed for quite a while, but now with the merest hint of a new start, I’m having a little flight of fancy which I hope doesn’t jinx things :)

I’m looking for advice, recommendations, reviews or warnings on specific brands and models. I’m thinking I want a 5m, zipped in ground sheet, canvas and intend to put a log burner in it.

Many thanks all,

Andy

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hello fella,
I have the Soulpad 5000 hybrid - G. Which is a fantastic bell tent, 5 meters wide, 3 meters tall, the G stands for Genie which is a pre sown in flap for the wood stove flue which we will be buying for Xmas. It has a zipped in groundsheet and the family loves it to bits.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hello Cromm, That's the one I'm favouring, but I didn't want to taint any responses with my preference. How long have you had it, how's it standing up to use both in terms of waterproofing and wear and tear? Which stove are you planning to buy? Is the stove jack placed by your choice or their recommendation, if so where?

Other over excited questions ;)

Thanks for your response,

Andy

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Had it for obout 8 weeks so cannot say how well it stands up to wear and tear over a long time. But it has been on about 25 different camps so far, in sun, fog, mist, wind,rain and RAIN and the tent has been outstanding. No leaks, no trouble at all.
The genie has been placed to the left side of the tent, which is normal but they did ask if we wanted it anywhere else which we didn't.
It takes me by myself to put the tent up 35 minutes with someone else 20 minutes, which for the size is great. It is a tardis of a tent.
The blaze stove is the one the family is liking at the moment by soulpad.
We are lucky that their site is only 45 mins away, so was able to go see the tents up to make sure it was big enough. Happy we did as we had been looking at the 4000.
We have had to take it down after rain so it was wet, but the great thing is you unzip the ground sheet put that in a bin liner, then the canvas tent into a different bag then when you are home all you have to do is hang or lay the canvas part out. Works a treat.

Attachments

• 20140918_135012.jpg
    20140918_135012.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140906_151822.jpg
    20140906_151822.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 61

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
If you are going to a campsite, you will get lots of people coming to look at the tent and want to look inside, also if you go in a group and there are kids, they love to run around the inside first of all, as kids do. So you may want a inner. Just to cut off a bit of the tent that no one can see or use who shouldn't, it would help with warming the tent in winter months also I am told. We've looked at fly sheets-porches and are not sure if they are needed, we love the look of the bell tent and putting something on the front just takes the look away for us.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Event shelters would be the way we would go if we wanted to have something on the front.
I would also say to buy a cheap tarp to place underneath the tent so it sits on the tarp not the muddy ground helps alot when packing up, again fold it up and drop it in a bag afterwards to hang out or brush clean later.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Haven't had any trouble yet, we got an over sized tarp and then cut the shape of the groundsheet out of it after pegging it out. It has made a huge difference in time and effort in packing everything up at the end of a stay.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
We've a 4m bell purchased on here second hand. It's great. A bit small for 5 of us especially since we're not organized! Also installed a jack and Frontier stove. I did cut out a square to fit over the jack but discovered that a pop bottle fits well so the cover isn't needed :)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
We use the tent as sleeping quarters and the event shelter as living space, it makes for a huge comfortable area, lots of people want to come in and have a look, especially at night when all the lights are lit, must admit though, it does look a good set up :) We thoroughly enjoy it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE