Beginners kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daveyboy33i

Mar 18, 2023
United Kingdom
As I am very new to this life, could I get some help or ideas of what sort of hardware I might need? I am guessing an axe and a knife… but where do I go from there please?

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
Hey Daveyboy! It's really fun at this stage. You can repurpose a fair amount of stuff that you may have lying around at home – mugs, pans etc, then build up kit as you find you need it.

The basics are shelter, food, water and fire.

A cheap axe (car boot/antique fairs are good places) and something like a Mora would start you off right. I've got an 35l army surplus rucksack (cost me £30)which fits pretty much everything in.

Something to make a cup of tea/hot chocolate/noodles can be done cheaply. There's tonnes of options for this, and I've really enjoyed researching and testing out various options, from jetboils to the BCB folding stoves and everything else in between. You really don't need to spend a fortune to get out there. Water bottles are anything from a use pop bottle to a super expensive space age mega light titanium flashy bottle.

Something to light a fire – always a cheap lighter, then you can have fun making up a fire kit with ferro rods, and home made firestarters (vaseline and cotton wool). The same with a first aid kit – think cuts and burns as a base.

Shelters can be a simple as a tarp from the DIY to a poncho to bushcraft tarps to tents. Build up as you go along.

A good bushcraft book is also a great bit of kit – from knots, to foraging there's loads of knowledge to get stuck into – as much as you want.

Youtube has a plethera of info – I really got into bushcraft after watching Hidden Valley Bushcraft and followed his recommendations. I've built on that as i've got more experienced.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
without going into details of clothing, shoes, food etc, i would say to start for bimbles in the woods for a day:

- cheap mora companion knife to start, and a folding saw like a laplander - then move onto an axe at a later date if you find you need it (i very very rarely need to use an axe tbh) and more expensive knives etc as you progress

- some sort of back pack or haversack, old army surplus is good value for money, or something cheap from decathlon etc to start - say 20-35l is enough to begin with

- a tarp - again army surplus 'basha' is good, but also look at DD tarps

- crusader bottle, metal mug and if you like the cookset to use with gel/hexamine

- small 'bushbox' style stove for small fires - these can be had cheap off ebay etc

- personal first aid kit - a pocket kit by lifesystems etc is fine

- a bushcraft book - say a ray mears one etc

- a reel of 550 paracord

- small firelighting kit - light my fire fire steel, is a good thing to master from the beginning

then when you are ready to sleep out add an army surplus bivvy bag, thermarest mattress, and a 3 season sleeping bag :)

You can then see how you go, and adapt, add, try different stuff (hammocks etc) as experience and budget allows - dont be tempted to get all the 'gadgets' advertised all over the place - most are gimmicks tbh and a waste of money.

Reactions: MattyWW

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
As I am very new to this life, could I get some help or ideas of what sort of hardware I might need? I am guessing an axe and a knife… but where do I go from there please?
I’d say buy as little as possible to start with (use what you’ve got) and spend as much time as possible outside.

Take a thermos with a hot drink, something to eat, something to sit on, dress warm and go sit outside somewhere away from people. What would you like to do while you’re there? What would make that nicer/more comfortable/more fun?

Then look up some bushcrafting literature/videos/forums - does any of the stuff mentioned there speak to you? Most people like playing with fire, some like rigging things up with rope and learn all the knots, others just want to know what plants they’re walking past and if they can eat them. And so on. Pick one or two things, learn about that, try it out (buy some gear if you need to) and then pick something else.

For instance, you can learn a lot about starting a fire outdoors by just using some matches and any dry stuff you’ve collected. No need to get a fire steel at all - unless you want to, of course!

I know there’s this real thing for going into a woodland, cutting dead wood (fallen branches etc) and starting fires. But I have to say, I’d almost never do that. I also wouldn’t necessarily bring a fixed knife or saw when just going out for the day. A folding knife is plenty capable and with a spirit burner (or a gas stove) you get plenty fun. I save the fire making and using a proper knife for when I’m at home in my garden or somewhere where it’s explicitly allowed, like the bushmoot or a ”wild” campsite. If I’m wild camping (tarp, simple bivy bag, sleeping bag and pad, usually) I definitely keep the footprint down as much as possible.

Reactions: MattyWW and TLM

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Starter kit for the adult man:

Box of Matches
Bic lighter in orange
Victorinox Climber or better Compact

Plastic bottle of mineral water from the supermarket
Sandwich

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recommend you to buy this rucksack below. It's large enough to fit in all you need, it's robust, very well adjustable and over all a very intelligent construction.
And that's a very good offer here:

Reactions: Edsmate and MrEd

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
You only need an axe if you plan on doing things that require an axe. The best way to know what kit you need is to learn on the job so to speak. Every outing will give you a better idea of what YOU need & so you can then direct your searches to specific gear you require rather than general lists which probably won't be suitable anyway.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Erbs' lists cover well the basics but every one has his or hers own preferences and that list will only form by experience gathered by walking and camping. Trial and terror, I mean error.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can have your individual preferences if you have the needed experience.

If you have no idea where to start you need recommendations where to get good equipment for a sensible price.

And if you start with military surplus you can sell it later for approximately the same price if you like. Try that with civil equipment that you bought new! Nobody will buy the stuff unless it's the best of the best and sold with high loss.

So, I'll continue my recommendations now. If you want you can of course do it differently and see what happens.

You surely noticed that my personal recommendations are things that European armies issue to their soldiers.
They don't ask about personal preferences but issue what works for the majority of people in most cases. They have a couple of hundred years feedback and currently quite a few employees.
And most NATO equipment is nearly identical in all armies for very good reasons.

So, that's the British army three seasons sleeping bag. It's worth to watch out until you can find a new one.
That is what you actually need most of the year.

You can put the summer bag from the link above into it to create a winter sleeping bag. It's sensible to own both.

That's why they issue both.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Dutch closed cell foam roll mat was designed for winter use. It's idiot proof and serves well in all weather conditions.

There is a bag for it on the market that I would try to get later but for the beginning you can also just put the mat how it's sold here under the flap of the rucksack.
It goes under the bivvy bag in order to protect it. No seperate ground sheet needed unless you intend to camp directly in the mudd, what I wouldn't do anyway.

You usually make the best deals if you buy used military equipment from the army of your own country in the best available conditions. If you buy it new it's also a very good deal because it will last you a lifetime in civil use.

4 straps are always handy:

The thicker the socks the more comfortable they are in most cases.

You need minimum 3 pairs. 70% wool is highly recommended.

Falke TK1 wool, bright grey are another option but more expensive.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's the best pot in my opinion.
You can make a bag for it from an old trousers leg, or take a plastic bag from the supermarket , a nylon draw string bag or whatever to keep it away from your other equipment if it got dirty outside if used over a camp fire.
It fits into a side pouch of the Dutch Sting rucksack, what's pretty practical.

Just take a stainless steel spon from the flea market or your kitchen drawer, you don't need a fork in the woods and a knife you will carry anyway. You don't need such a camping cuttlery kit.

A stainless Morakniv Garberg with leather sheath is a very good choice. I think you get nowhere else such a good knife for so little money.

If you want to play with a hatchet get a Fiskars X7 with additional flexible mask. But you don't need it and can do all with the knife what's needed. You don't need a saw and absolutely no full size axe for recreational camping in Britain. Save the money! You wouldn't use it so much anyway.

A Hultafors GK will also serve you well in the beginning. It isn't really a survival knife but for the price absolutely no fault. And tip No1 for beginners on a budget.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

One can get this British army bottle also used in most military surplus shops. Take only the original Osprey bottle, not the copy! You need two of them and they fit perfectly into the water bottle pouch that I showed you in the beginning.
Take such a fire proof original British army steel mug too, one is enough. You probably can find it used in a surplus shop or at a flea market. The bottle fits into it. The steel mugs goes under it, the plastic cup over it.

There is a nesting folding army stove for the steel mug and another one by BCB in approximately the shape of the mug itself. But you don't necessarily need this or that.
You could get for 2 £ a used folding German army Esbit stove or use a gas or alcohol stove that one can make from a beer or Coke tin or you heat it at the camp fire. There are a lot of equally good options that all have their advantages and downsides. One can't give a general recommendation here.
That's worth an own thread.

But as you see, I recommend you here things that nest and fit to each other.
Would you just buy some stuff in a usual outdoor shop nothing would fit together. That's the difference between equipment that's well thought through and the stuff that most people use and even recommend.

I use myself different equipment, other bottles for example, but that's because I get in Germany different but similar equipment cheaper than British equipment.

There are a lot of different options but you need a lot of know how if you want to put it together to a well working system. And I show you here one option that's currently available for you for a sensible price.

Last edited:

Harold Godwinson

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2023
Cornwall
Well Daveyboy as you can see from the replies kit addiction lives!!

Question I would ask is what do you have already? Note crosslandkelly's post (a Ray Mears quote I believe?) See what you have already that ticks the boxes.

Be careful with Bushcraft kit it will hurt your wallet, its a bit like the old fishing kit adage, "fishing kit isn't designed to hook fish, its designed to hook fishermen" the reality is you don't need much and certainly not a lot of expensive kit. Army surplus and as point out previously stuff from home re-purposed are great starting points.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
So, I copy for you here now an older kit list that shows you how you can pack all the stuff and what you need to put together. Most things can be improvised in the beginning or forever. There is always a cheaper solution and something you can get for free. But as I noticed, the problem is nowadays not that people can't afford good equipment. They usually spend far too much on the wrong stuff.

The average usual strong young man would be pretty well served with the following equipment.

I tried here below to save money where it's easily possible but spend a bit more where it's sensible.

Most people have already some equipment of course, like a rainsuit for example. One should of course take what's already in wardrobe case, attic and shed. It's also sensible to ask around if family members and friends have such stuff and would gift it to you. Nearly every old military equipment might be usefull. And a lot of old civil hiking, hunting and camping equipment too of course.

Packing list for beginners, low budget.

Rucksack
Dutch army Sting, used
or Karrimor SF Sabre 45, new
The pots below fit into the side pouches of these rucksacks, what's outstanding practical.
Garbage bag as waterproof rucksack liner

Under the flap of the rucksack
Insulation mat, British army, used
Can be secured on the flap with
2 British army utility straps, used

Stuffed to the bottom of the main compartment:
Sleeping bag Snugpak Special Forces 2, new, in
Bivvy bag Snugpak Special Forces, new,
or British army, used in very good conditions

On top of it in the main compartment:

Ortlieb 7 litres dry bag PS10 as pillow too, new,
containing
Fleece jacket Solognac 300, new
Fleece jacket Solognac 100, new
Spare underwear 1X
Briefs and T-shirt, thin cotton
Woolen spare socks 1X Falke TK1 or British army, new
Swimming briefs 1X
(Shorts Solognac 100, new)
Longjohns, fleece, Solognac 100, new
Knitted cap, Solognac 300 Larch, new
Liner gloves Solognac 100, new
All leather working gloves, new

Left side pouch:

Poncho, German army, used
or British army shelter sheet, used
Cordage
2x 3 m to tension it as lean to shelter, and 1,5 m to make a tripod,
(1,5 m additional for belt attachments and loops for the poncho grommets.)
Edelrid multicord SP, 2,5 mm orange, new

Food
in the
Pathfinder Bush Pot 1800 ml
new, in a plastic bag.

Right side pouch:

Toilet paper in a toppits zipp lock freezer bag
Wash kit
Folding tooth brush, tooth cream, little tube, soap in a bottle, Sea to Summit body wash 89 ml, razor Wilkinson disposable orange, small towel, Nabaji size S, new.
It fits all together - razor blade protecting - into
Solognac Organizer Size S, new

Mug, Lixada 750 ml stainless steel with bail and butterfly handles, new, in a plastic bag

2x Bottle, Nalgene 1 litre cylindrical and clear, new, nests with the mug above

In the flap pocket:

Knife Morakniv Garberg stainless steel with leather sheath or Hultafors GK heavy duty, new
Spoon stainless steel from the flea market
Candle in a zipp lock freezer bag
As fire starter you can put a few drips of wax on the twigs.
Bic cigarette lighter, orange, new
(Gas stove
Alpkit Kraku with cardridge Primus red, new)
Head lamp Petzl e+lite, new
Head net Sea to Summit Nano, new
Waterproof cap Solognac 500, new
Perhaps Goretex suit German army, used.

Reactions: Foogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE