Beginners Guide Starter Kits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi mate there is a Norfolk and Norwich group you are welcome to join!
We aren't doing much for the next couple of weeks but we'll meet up soon! (I'll PM you details)

as for kit you need?

it's whatever you want, most people have a mix of outdoor sports and military kit.

basically you want to start with cheep stuff or borrowed to try out, eventually you will figure out whats right for you i.e.

Lightweight/heavyweight, basic/complex natrual/bling.

if you look at a "bushcraft/survival" book (or website) you'll get a rough idea what you can get hold of, just build on that.

If it's skills you are after, again start at the basics, make a tarp shelter in the garden, light a small fire (if allowed), take a look round your local area at things you can use from nature. just get warmed up eventually if you come along to the N& N meet Ican teach you Bowdrill fire lighting and we have others expert at Fungi, woodwork all sorts!

Hope to meet you soon!:)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I used to have the Olive version, which i used for a season.
It's a decent bag with extras like the zip off pockets and waterproof cover etc.
I'm sure it will do just fine!

Incidentally I eventually changed to an OG PLCE short back bergen. pretty much because i like to carry more stuff than i need to.:eek:

I still have the PLCE and now more often use tha well known Medium US ALICE pack, which forces me to carry less:eek: but both are less comfortable than the Snugpack.

I don't want to "diss" it as it works for alot of people but, 2 things to be aware of with the Snugpak:
1 it's designed to be worn ontop of webbing pouches so the back can seem short, it's worth trying it out .
2 it has no shoulder adjusters which i feel are important if carrying heavy loads.

I think mine might still be hanging upstairs in Hoopers Surplus(in Norwich, Pottergate), I swapped it for some other gear(if you want it don't pay full price i used it for a year!):lmao: .(P.s. i added shoulder straps to my pack!)

L

lee22

simplist way ive found of working out whats needed is to make a simple list like this
1..water
2..fire
3..shelter
4..food
from this i would first buy a water bottle and prehaps a filtration straw
then
a fire steel or 2 (i have one main steel and a baby one as a back up)
followed by a
knife, para cord and a tarp
then as far as food goes
books (ive found the sas survival manual is a pretty good start) a bushcraft/survival course and the experiance of others who know what their doing remember all the kit in the world is only as good as how well its used, knowlage is the real key to bushcraft/survival
all this sort of thing is readily available through the likes of ebay/internet and doesnt have to cost alot either

from this you will find it easier to build your kit up......well i did anyway
lee

Hello, welcome :)

Check out some of this guys videos on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPe-M5dSfxw&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LuKr4dl9mA&feature=channel_page

I think he does a good job of steering folks away from the 'gear' aspect of bushcraft (although I wouldn't recommend his choice of knife)...

:D

Yeah I have been watching since I found it through searching for Bushcrafting kit's it took me a while but I found that bag he uses its pretty awesome cant find the yokes that go with if intrested i have the link for it in an earlier post on this thread.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mr Mears summarises a basic kit list quite well in his books ...

Something to carry it in,
something to sleep under,
something to sleep in,
something to sleep on,
something to cook over,
something to cook in,
something to carry water,
a mug,
eating utensils,
food,
medical kit,
illumination,
wash kit,
"possibles",
clothing &
navigational equipment.

Take from that what you will but I think the first 5 or 6 items are key and of course they can be sourced fairly cheaply, ex-issue etc.

Have fun and keep your eye on the classifieds section.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
the equipment on there is dirt cheap.
Thanks im going to be buying that

Sensible, things like army water bottles are good value (or just pick up 2 litres of spring water from Tesco for 25p, the bottle is free).

DON'T go out in a mad dash to wear the label kit, buy your basics and when you can meet others in your area, you will learn a lot more camp craft from a live meet than any book you buy. No use having the flash kit if you can't afford to go camping and use the stuff:)

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What I would do is try and attend a meeting of one of the regional groups.This way you can see who's using what ,they'll tell you how much it costs and where to get it,and you'll be able to see it being used and make your own decisions on what you've seen.
You'd only need to spend a day with the group and you'll learn more than a week on the internet.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup I'd agree with that, I always used loads of military gear, yes it'll survive getting chucked out of a helicopter but it is generally heavy.

I still can't believe it but on the first BCUK MOOT(in wales), I went along with the family (and 6 berth tent) plus all the extra stuf for kids etc.

Nearby was a guy camping just a tarp and sleeping bag, all his kit fitted in a side pouch from a PLCE bergen! seriously all of it! when he got there he lived on wild food.

i have to say i was and still am deeply impressed!

thing is to fit everything in that size you'd be needing probably a down sleeping bag (expensive) and other ultralightweight gear, some of which is not as strong as the gear most use. i guess you pay's yer money and takes yer choice.

By the way Kai Leingod I'f you look back on the Norfolk & orwich thread i have some sparesPeople in the group can have for free(just a good will gesture),
I think i have: pepsi can stoves, King Alfreds cake(tinder fungi) some Iron pyrites(though even Mr Mears has trouble lighting fires with it!) and I'm sure i can fish out a few other bits for you at no price(seriously it's just taking up space in the garage!;)

It's good to help a fellow Bushcrafter!

Yup I'd agree with that, I always used loads of military gear, yes it'll survive getting chucked out of a helicopter but it is generally heavy.

I still can't believe it but on the first BCUK MOOT(in wales), I went along with the family (and 6 berth tent) plus all the extra stuf for kids etc.

Nearby was a guy camping just a tarp and sleeping bag, all his kit fitted in a side pouch from a PLCE bergen! seriously all of it! when he got there he lived on wild food.

i have to say i was and still am deeply impressed!

thing is to fit everything in that size you'd be needing probably a down sleeping bag (expensive) and other ultralightweight gear, some of which is not as strong as the gear most use. i guess you pay's yer money and takes yer choice.

By the way Kai Leingod I'f you look back on the Norfolk & orwich thread i have some sparesPeople in the group can have for free(just a good will gesture),
I think i have: pepsi can stoves, King Alfreds cake(tinder fungi) some Iron pyrites(though even Mr Mears has trouble lighting fires with it!) and I'm sure i can fish out a few other bits for you at no price(seriously it's just taking up space in the garage!;)

It's good to help a fellow Bushcrafter!

thats amazing, thanks!

thanks for all the advice realy apreciated all i have to do now is act on it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE