Beginners bushcraft hike; a few thoughts (text heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
A few days ago I went on a three day hike through Switzerlands “pre-Alps”. I’d decided to take everything with me, rather than stay in hotels and eat in restaurants. Basically, the trip consisted of walking, eating and sleeping. I’m by no means an expert on hiking or bushcraft, so I offer these thoughts simply because other people might be in my position.

Walking
I guess it goes without saying that your boots should be comfortable. But I was surprised at what a difference a full pack can make; my feet were getting pushed into the boot much more than when I’m not laden. Fortunately my boots feel like slippers when not laden. I’d toyed with the idea of some mega expensive socks. In the end I went for some fairly normal walking socks from the supermarket. They seem to have some kind of matting on the sole (a bit like a soft scouring pad). These worked really well and kept my feet dry. In spite of being quite thick, my feet never felt hot. I’m by no means super-fit, but I managed to walk for about 9 hours per day carrying 19kg, covering about 25 km per day. On the flat, I got quite used to the weight. On inclines the pack really made its’ presence felt. I found the key to be just plod along, trying not to get out of breath. There were regular steady climbs of several hundred metres. The plod along slowly philosophy worked there too.

Eating
I carried a JetBoil for all my cooking. In three days I probably used less than 100g of gas. I found it to be reliable and robust. Strangely, even though I must have been burning 3000 cals per day, I never really felt that hungry. I ate “pot noodle” style meals and was quite happy with them. I tried out a proper “hikers meal”, but it was no tastier than the supermarket stuff and cost twice as much. Pate in a tube spread on crackers was convenient and tasty. I ate 12 meusli bars. Instant mashed potato has come a long way since school dinners 30 years ago. At home I drink tea with milk. I’m not keen on unmilked black tea, so I weaned myself onto mint tea. Even without sugar it still tastes sweet. I consumed at least 4 litres of water per day. This included rehydrating meals, rehydrating me, tea and (instant whitened)coffee. I carried 2.5 litres with me, which was not excessive for the final climb (1000m height difference), which had no water source nearby.

Sleeping
I slept in my hammock. It’s a group buy MagiKelly with snugpak underblanket. I leave the underblanket attached to the hammock rings with shockcord. Down the length of the underblanket I’ve sewed Velcro tabs. This allows me to close the underblanket above me, at least as far as my hips. From hips to shoulders I cover myself with my fleece jacket. The whole thing goes into a roll top dry bag. This setup kept me comfortable down to around 10oC. I had a home made mossie net (200g) and a Hilleberg tarp (500g), although in the end there weren’t any mossies and it didn’t rain. Finding a place to sling the hammock was very easy; finding suitable guy points for the tarp was a bit more difficult. Sometimes the ground slopes markedly, meaning one side of the tarp would be nearly vertical. Or there were other trees or branches that would rub the tarp. Having said that, finding a pitch for a tent would have been impossible.

My total load was about 19kg on stepping out of the house and 15 kg when returning. If I plan a similar trip in the future I would carry a bit less food, maybe a bit less water and try to find an alternative for my old fleece jacket; a down jacket being the obvious choice.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Nice post MJK123. :)

I agree about plodding on those long climbs. It's a 'state of mind' thing I think. Every step is one step closer to the top. I must admit, when I was younger I would go as fast as I could and then take rests whilst waiting for my group to catch up. These days I am one of the plodders.

Apologies in advance to those on the Dartmoor trip next month. :D

Martin

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good read fella

For walking I always try to keep the same tempo of stride whether I'm going uphil or down. The length of the stride changes accordingly but the speed always stays the same. Try it if you don't already :)

Try using some cut poles at the corners of your hammock, tie a clove hitch round the pole then peg down to the ground from there. Gives you a bit more flexibility with setups.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE