Before I go ahead and do it...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Would not use the kitchen sharpener personally as your knife has a scandi type grind which could be ruined,as allready said stones for the flat bevel is the better option or use a sharpmaker if you have one but that will put a secondary microbevel on the blade.If you are not sure or confident enough to do it yourself or do not have the gear,send it to Longstrider who will put a new edge on for you that is a doddle to maintain with a strop and compound. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'd echo the above, don't put a decent knife through one of those sharpeners! Send it to someone or have a read of the sticky on knife sharpening at the top of the threads in 'edged tools'.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I use an Eggen, it very seldom needs sharpening other than a few strokes on a strop to keep it hair popping sharp. It probably gets sharpened on stones about twice a year at the most.
I would not dream of using one of those kitchen sharpeners an any decent knife.

Dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
You COULD use it, BUT - you'd learn nothing of proper freehand knife sharpening and could, at the least, take a lot of life out of your cutting edge and has the potential to do damage that might take a lot of work to recover - it might not even work at all!

Better to use something else and learn a decent technique - even if you end up buying a cheap Mora to practise on!

Ogri the trog

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
It's not worth it, takes too much metal off, leaves a ragged poor cutting edge, ruins your grind & will need re-sharpening every 5 minutes...I only use them for sharpening stainless steel kitchen knives....................it's really easy to sharpen a knife using a stone.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Don't do it.

Where in Yorkshire are you? It'd be easiest for someone to show you how to sharpen a scandi grind. It's not that hard to learn how to do it properly.

Rat

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I had an Eggen until just recently very sharp holds a good edge, I think this bit of kit would ruin your blade. Try using a stone DC3 DC4 etc and a strop and paste. You will find this much better than that metal eater. You will also learn how to keep the blade sharp, which is good experience for the future.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
When I started sharpening I wet and dry and a mouse mat it works very easily and not much chance of doing any harm if you are careful.
Just get some 600 and 800 and you can strop on the inside of a cereal box with toothpaste if you have nothing else.

Mark

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
When I started sharpening I wet and dry and a mouse mat it works very easily and not much chance of doing any harm if you are careful.
Just get some 600 and 800 and you can strop on the inside of a cereal box with toothpaste if you have nothing else.

Mark

Mark

The mouse-mat method works well for convexed edges, but using it with a scandi grind like on the Helle will start to convex the scandi grind. Using British Red's five pound sharpening kit will help preserve the scandi grind.

HTH

Rat

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
As people have mentioned there are various ways, I prefer a combi waterstone then stropping on a leather paddle strop with compound. The waterstones can be replaced with the £5 sandpaper. That's about £35 all in for my method or about a tenner for the sandpaper and strop method. It's all down to how you want to sharpen, how often you sharpen knives and how much you want to spend doing it. Well worth learning though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE