bees honey & mead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
Last week , took off and extracted 3 gallon of early honey from one hive. Really pleased. Going to have go at making some traditional mead from the cappings.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mead works well as does metheglin and melomel. I made a batch of strawberry melomel from our surplus strawberries last year and some of the Autumn flow - very good it is too. I find a sack mead base is the best.

I heartily reccomend "Wild Wines and Meads" for the recipes

Labels by British Red, on Flickr

There are some tutorials on the site of mine if its your first try!

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
This will be my first attempt at mead, I'm still looking around a bit to find a good method .
You have some nice looking bottles in your picture. I will take a look at your suggestions.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great stuff! Our hives are really coming along, I fancy a crack at mead when we harvest some honey, we recently split ours so it may be a while but they're truly workers and it's incredible what they archive in a short space of time, and more to the pint Reds mead looks lush! :)

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
It's been a really good for the bees this year the weather has been good and spring was very early this year with plenty of forage here in Norfolk. Helped also by the oilseed rape crops in my area.
Hopefully I can continue to prevent them swarming and there will be another harvest later in the year.

Last edited:

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
Well the mead is in demijohns and is happily fermenting and bubbling through the airlocks
Now I guess we wait for the first racking off.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep - this time next year you may be able to taste some. Don't rush it - it does secondary ferment and takes a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE