Bees for the Garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great idea, making it easy for folk to get involved.

I'd love to give it a go but I don't do bees, had a bad experience as a kid involving a cricket ball, a large conifer tree and about three hundred angry bees.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Doesn't look bad at all. Maybe a bit posh, expensive and bulky. It seems a bit big for one colony too.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's usually a local beekeeping society that could provide loads of information if you are interested in this. Ours are really helpful, and usually turn up to local agricultural and countrysiude shows throughout the summer.

Get on the web and look for your local group.

mochasidamo

Mar 8, 2010
Montgomery, Wales
"The supply of bees is seasonal and their price may vary between 0.5p and 1.5p per bee depending on availability" ...about sums it up really. A Kenyan top bar hive can be had for £60 tops (or less with recycled timber). What's the condensation going to be like in these?

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
So, how do I encourage bumble bees (rather than swarms of honey bees!) in a smallish sub-urban garden? Can I create a good home for them? Can I favour them over wasps?

Haven't got £60 to spend, either.

carnegos

Nov 18, 2009
Kernow
www.rafdavidstowmoor.org
I started beekeeping last year and really enjoy it but do worry about everyone jumping on the honeybee bandwagon when all of our bees are struggling. I think that it would be great if we also tried to help the solitary bee and bumble bee populations.

I don't like the idea of plastic nest boxes, as mochasidamo says I'd worry about condesation. My western red cedar hive contains quite a bit of moisture from the bees driving the water content out of the honey and I'm sure moisture plays a large part in colony problems. Mesh floors seem to help with the airflow and keeping the moisture content down. There's also the ecological problem of using plastics over woods.

Mikey P, have a look here at making your own solitary bee house. It's cheap and often you can use bits and bobs already lying around in your garden.

Also for bumble bees you should have a look here.

Hope this is of help.

ATB
Robin

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Didn't know the bumble bee was in trouble, maybe not here in the US?

I was photographing flowers last week and the place was a buzz with bumble bees so i tried to photograph the flowers with bees on them ; )

The bumble bees seem docile as none attacked me while chasing them with the camera : )

'Fraid so, wildjim. It's a global issue.

Cheers

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
funny how things come up, i have been reading about honey bees extensively today, as in 5 hours of solid reading! just waiting for a reply from my local group
good thread with gud links, many thanks

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Don't think I'd want an orange plastic and metal thing like that in our garden. Made five top-bar hives out of cedar, and have some Russian and some Italian bees. It's fascinating to watch their comings and goings. Only been stung a couple times, and it's not nearly so bad as with hornets and wasps.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
what plans did you use oblio13? how do you fair with pest control for them? i am going to a local community hive this saturday to get my first hands on day. could be great, could be a disaster, looking forward to it though

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I asked the farmer at the back of us for a little bit of land the other day with the intention of planting trees, extending the veg garden and having bees, it didn't happen though. I was looking forward to having bees in my trees :D

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Here are the plans for Warre hives:

http://thebeespace.net/2008/07/30/introduction-warre-beehive-construction-guide/

We don't use any medications, we just sift powdered sugar into each hive body weekly. It makes mites fall through the screened bottom, and the bees can use it.

The bees seem to like the hives, but we've never been able to harvest any honey.

A friend and I have been trying for three years now. Bears have gotten them twice. This year we moved two to a suburban location, and surrounded the others by a chain link fence and an electric fence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE