Been Busy in the shop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
Hey everyone I have ben busy lately making a couple of knives in my shop. Its become a new hobby for me.

The first of the 3 is a cocbolo handle the next is a Birch burl and the last is of ebony with self made mosaics. I also made the sheaths to go with them they are made of 440c and the blades length is 4 inches long.
trio.jpg

coco.jpg

ebony.jpg

This next one is a full tang scandi handled in Micarts with a blade of 4 1/2 inches and is made from 1095.
scandi.jpg

Lastly is a knife I forged from a file with a 4 1/2 inch blade
forge2.jpg

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Abe.. they look great... good work!!

by the way i got the fire piston way ahead of when i thought i would!!
thanks for all you help and excelent service!! :) :biggthump

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
What I find amazing is that Abe's talent extends from woodworking to knives. I really like the long micarta handled scandi.

Here is a pair of paddles that Abe custom made for me.

11-AbePaddles.jpg

leon-1

Randy, you have some very talented freinds (I'm sure you know everyone in the Americas).

Just a thought, that's you at work is it not, I am curious as to why you have those 2 marvellously crafted paddles at your place of work, because I currently have a mental image of a modern day Nessmuk canoeing into work :eek:):

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice work CR but what I'd like to know is why are all your sentences complete and your words spelled correctly on this forum? :?: :naughty:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Ah the paddles at work....yup the Sary Gamp is out in the parking garage....

Actually I had Abe craft this pair for our 24th wedding anniversary, and simply collected them at work so my wife would not see this huge package delivered at home. These just arrived last month so have not seen the water yet, but this spring I intend to get out with them to see how they compare to my other paddles. Abe made these in solid (one-piece) old Ash with a cherry facing on the front and back of the shaft. They are an amazingly nice paddle from an old design. I would love to meet Abe sometime as his talent with wood is vast and these knives are showing a nice eye too.

If I had the time I could actually paddle to work...down Lake Washington, through the cut to Lake Union, portage by the Locks to Puget Sound and then paddle on to Elliot bay to work. Of course, it would probably take me all day to get here.....about the same as it does on bad traffic days now that I think about it. :eek:):

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
CanRanger said:
Well see I am Canadian and write in the Queen's english, so all my sentences make sense here. Its when you read my writing on an American forum you think my spelling is wrong. :wink:

Un huh. :roll: :sulkoff:

Ok Schwert, I found something in that photo that is upsetting to me. We've probably discussed this before but I need a refresher course.

That vest has flaps on the pockets! My Mackinaw vests do not. I can only assume that your vest is a Cruiser. But the only cruisers I see in my catalog are tin cloth. Wassup bud? BTW, is that a wool vest or moleskin?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hoodoo said:
That vest has flaps on the pockets! My Mackinaw vests do not. I can only assume that your vest is a Cruiser. But the only cruisers I see in my catalog are tin cloth. Wassup bud? BTW, is that a wool vest or moleskin?

Hoodoo the vest is a custom. I think you can order different options, like pocket flaps and IIRC it is wool.

I also don't think I've seen a pic of schwert without it on.

Bill

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Hoodoo said:
Ok Schwert, I found something in that photo that is upsetting to me.

I'm just wondering about the need for paddles in a cube farm :-D

Schwert, do your colleagues tend to act a bit bemused around you? I know mine behave strangely at times - honestly, you'd think none of them had ever before seen 3m lengths of tool steel, Japanese forging hammers, leather...
:eek:):

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
WhiteBuffalo

I intend on selling these knives but I am not sure it would be ok to talk about price on this forum I am not too familiar with the rules of conduct here. If you want to email me through my link on my signature I could let you know. I just don't want to break any rules here.

As far as Randy getting a kilt I have always wanted to look ito the utilakilt company. I have sen some at the knife shows and think they are the greatest.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Looks like I sort of hijacked this thread with my fashion show and other odd behavior.

The vest is indeed a custom Cruiser (Style 8) in 26oz Mackinaw wool. Amazingly even with the custom upcharge of 50% it is still very close in price to the off-the-rack Style 20 vests. The Cruiser has two full inside pockets, a full double back and patch front pocket instead of handwarmer pockets. I consider this design the finest vest (waistcoat) made.

I gave her the canoe paddles she gave me a brand new Style 8 in wool. I sort of got 2 gifts....but do not tell.

Also note, you must request buttons on the front placket and front pockets rather than snaps to duplicate this vest when you call the Filson Custom line. They may try and tell you it cannot be done, but insist...my wife almost did not.

I have had my eye on a Utilikilt and I want one. It would be perfect with the vest, which I do wear everyday....eccentric, calling eccentric dork with canoe paddles in cube and green vest wearing a UtiliKilt,....calling eccentic.... :eek:): Of course, if I wear a Kilt I will also have the right to have a much larger knife in my sox.

ESpy, you called it. They just know I am a harmless nut with very odd tastes. Wool instead of fleece, knives, fountain pens, a fully-equipped vest....I could go on, but they know where to come when they need help. Funny how they all congregate around when I get a parcel. When I pulled the paddles out of a huge WeedEater box, the crowd fell silent in admiration....Might have been the Ingram that was slicing open the box, but I think it was the Paddles.

But back to Abe...he is one talented man, and I am sure would also look fine in a Kilt. :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE