Beef Jerky storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Can anyone suggest a way for me to store Beef Jerky for longer?

I made a nice chilli batch of it last night and noticed this morning that it had all gone :eek: :D

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Marts said:
I made a nice chilli batch of it last night and noticed this morning that it had all gone :eek: :D

It appears you are suffering from an infestation of Jerky Mites, these creatures wait until it is at the optimum eating stage and strike without warning.

The only know cure, I'm afraid, is to stand guard over the jerky with a wooden spoon and beat the offending creature with it until fully 'tenderised'.
One thing to be aware of, the Jerky Mite burrows under the skin of a host creature, even you yourself are not immune, they then control the host to go in search of their sustainance.

Hope that clears up your problem.

Greywolf

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I found the perfect way to make it keep longer. At least for the way I do it. :rolleyes:

Leave it to soak in salt for four hours while you go do something else. Resulting jerky is salty enough that only a starving man would eat it, and so dry that it keeps that way forever!! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE