Beef jerky help please (dehydrator type)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Hi folks.

I've managed banannas, Sharon fruit and apples and made my own onion and garlic powder so I move onto jerky.

I perpared some topside and it's marinaded and it's in the dehydrator at 70 degrees for I think about 8 hrs.

I'm wondering?

1) Do I need to refrigerate after drying or just an air tight poly bag.

2) Is 70 degrees for about 8hrs okay. Strips are pretty thin.

Thanks in advance.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've made dehydrator jerky a few times now. I find at least with my dehydrator that it takes more than 8 hours. More like 10 or 12 for me (at 70c). I store my finished jerky at room temperature in muslin bags.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm wondering?

1) Do I need to refrigerate after drying or just an air tight poly bag.

2) Is 70 degrees for about 8hrs okay. Strips are pretty thin.

Thanks in advance.

1. My first is current stored in an ice cream tub on the kitchen counter so I can pick at it as I go by :rolleyes:

2. I did mine at 70deg for about 9 hours for a dryer finish. Second batch I did for the dogs was about 7-8 hours same temp and that had a slight give to the meat. It seems to be fine and the dogs love it :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Cheers folks.

I realised that it was all a bit hocus pocus with times and temps but I'm on the right track it seems:)

I'm not sure how long it will last at room temperature (especially as I've started eating it out of the dehydrator already!!!)

Thanks

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
A rule of thumb is, if dried hard enough to break when bent, it will keep indefinitely without refrigeration, if it bends without breaking it is best to keep it cool. If you are only making a dehydrator batch, it will be eaten before you can find out if it will keep anyway.
Woody

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Thanks guys. That's it done (well dried anyway).

It snaps so must be pretty dry, (10 hrs) and your right, it's not lasting long enough to go off!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE