Beef Jerky, My Way.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have been meaning to put this up for a while.

I have made beef jerky for a number of years now but not in the usual way. I tried the thin strips of beef sliced thin by my butcher, not too good. I tried slicing it myself, too fiddly. I have tried in the oven and in the sun, not the best. Marinating is hit or miss.

Therefore, I sat down and thought about it and this is what I came up with.

It always gives good results. It produces consistent sized jerky that is easy to store and carry. The results keep for many months, (I don’t know the limit as it gets eaten long before there is any indication of rancidity or taint). The recipe is based on past best practice. The jerky tastes good.

Jerky41_zps63cc33fd.jpg

Buy one kilogram of good, low fat, mince, do not use mince with more than five per cent fat, more fat goes rancid quickly. I usually snap it up from ‘chuckout corner’ in Tesco’s when it (rarely) appears.

Jerky43_zps676734cd.jpg

Throw it in a largish bowl.

Jerky44_zps2485c02b.jpg

Add the ingredients to the bowl.
30ml of Worcestershire sauce.

Jerky47_zps40ff5e8c.jpg

30ml of dark Soy sauce.

Jerky48_zpsd71dbdc5.jpg

15ml of my secret ingredient. Very optional but gives it a certain ‘Je ne sais quoi’. Think up your own favourite.

Jerky50_zps15697d7b.jpg

Ground black pepper, to taste.

Jerky51_zps7739de3a.jpg

Ground Cayenne pepper, to taste.
Not too much, adds the heat but best to stay subtle with flavours to start with and experiment with future batches.

Jerky52_zps6cf02f4e.jpg

A garlic clove.

Jerky54_zpsa8d2dd79.jpg

50g onion.
These are walking onions of which we have a glut but any will do.

Jerky58_zps38f2238a.jpg

20ml heather honey.
From my own bees (heather is an acquired taste, use ordinary or even sugar to add sweetness if you don’t like heather honey).

Jerky59_zpsb078a8ef.jpg

Chilli powder to taste.
Stay subtle.

I have also added in the past Sodium Nitrate as a preservative. Also Potassium Nitrate and once Gunpowder (very traditional). I now don’t bother as it does not seem necessary and there is an increasing volume of people saying nitrates are not too good for you

Jerky60_zpsd82db2b6.jpg

Add to mince.

Jerky61_zps1f43cce5.jpg

Mix very well.

Jerky62_zps4dc08f2c.jpg

Roll out on the work surface with a rolling pin.

Jerky64_zps16aec717.jpg

Roll out to three to four millimetres.

Jerky67_zpsf4215c46.jpg
Cut into strips.
I use a plastic ruler.

Jerky70_zps9d482e22.jpg

Put strips onto dehydrator trays so they have plenty of air around them and don’t touch each other.

Jerky73_zps67b8568f.jpg

Run dehydrator.
Three to four hours unless the strips are too thick. The strips should be stiff and hard when done. Almost cracking in two when bent.

Jerky77_zpsbcf52a80.jpg

Enjoy.

I store in the refrigerator individual strips wrapped zigzag in kitchen paper, to absorb any grease, in a polythene ziplock.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Don't waste your money on the jerky gun. It is just not necessary and the product is too commercial looking for my taste.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I prefer your way, it's cheaper and I'm Scottish. Could be handy for the handless gadget monkey though. :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks great I'll be giving this a go. Jerky on a budget, sounds good to me :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE