Beech gin noyau

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
So Bob told me about beech gin on the meet up. The need for some tree surgery on a couple of beech in my garden prompted me to have a go at it. I have found a recipe (and a new word 'Noyau') which is gin with enough young beech leaves to be covered, and some brandy and sugar.

d9c950859dfa457af4aa241b6b786801.jpg

Has anyone else tried this before?

I also have some copper beech... any one know if this could this be used in the same way? Maybe to produce the same drink but with a different pigment?

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Certainly an interesting idea - I am fairly crap at wood and metalwork but bushcraft alcohol sounds like a perfect craft for me!!!

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Certainly an interesting idea - I am fairly crap at wood and metalwork but bushcraft alcohol sounds like a perfect craft for me!!!
The most enjoyable form of foraging if you ask me. Takes a while for good results but you can even put it in a nice bottle and give it as a gift.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Any ideas on copper beech?

Might change the colour but shouldn't have any other effect. You want the leaves when they are just emerged, still soft and slightly crinkly. Best test is to try eating a leaf of so straight off the tree. If it is soft enough to chew without feeling like a sheet of plastic, it is ok.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Thanks to the OP, its reminded me that I want to try this !
so far I am delighted with all the pimped alcohols I have done, some better than others but all lovely in their own way.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Might change the colour but shouldn't have any other effect. You want the leaves when they are just emerged, still soft and slightly crinkly. Best test is to try eating a leaf of so straight off the tree. If it is soft enough to chew without feeling like a sheet of plastic, it is ok.
Good info. Thanks harvestman

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wondered what this stuff tastes like since reading about it in a book I can't recall the name of now? Is it just a flavoured Gin like Sloe?

I make it according to Richard Maybe's recipe, which adds a lot of sugar, so you end up with the flavour of the beech leaves, but in a somewhat syrupy liqueur. Many find it too sweet. I've heard it described as tooth decay in a glass.

I'm going to try for a less sweet version this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE