Bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
Hey guys,

Anyone got any advice on how to minimise the size of a bedroll?
I pack a bivvi, modern british army sleeping bag and liner and a cut down rollmat.
This still makes up about 70% of my pack, and I feel a bit of a berk going off for a weekend in the woods and looking like I'm trekking across the outback (rollmat on top of the pack, sleeping bag slung underneath it, makes it the same size as a british army bergan...).

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
I use a Norwegian Telemark pack, since it straps down according to the size of the load (anything from 30 - 60 litres) and the sleeping bag is soldier 95.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I strap the rollmat to the outside and have the sleeping bag loose inside the bivy bag. This bag gets stuffed in the bottom of the rucksack with hands and feet if necessary. MAIN aim if to fill all the dead spaces

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
Hey Mike, I used to do the same but with a change of clothes that would already be most of the space in the pack. The sleeping system is a bit on the bulky side, but works better than most commercial bags.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
omm sell mats that are folded in 4 i use 2 of them in my hammock regards dave

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You aren't doing anything wrong mate. The 90 pattern bag is just a big bag and TBH when used with a bivi bag it's overkill for most of the year. If you want cheap kit, a jungle bag in the bivi bag should be ample and a lot smaller. All of my kit is bulky (because it's cheap) even when camping (not schrafting) my load out is in a 60 litre bag which is chocker full, but weighed less than my mates 35 ltr load out!

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
Thanks guys, I did lightweight backpacking but moved on to more of a leather and canvas mentality since taking up bushcrafting. I like the idea of being able to make or mend anything I take with me in the field using wax thread and a needle instead of bonding agents, although that obviously increases the pack size. Still pretty lightweight though :)

rg598

Native
Bivi and sleeping bag do into a compression sack and then inside the pack. If it is a closed cell foam pad, it goes on the outside of the pack. The compression sack will show you how small the bag and bivi can get. If they are still very large, then it is just a function of the type of bag and bivi you have. There are alternatives on the market that pack very small.

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
Hey RG. I stopped using the compression sack because it forms an awkward bundle rather than being sas-packed into the bottom of the bag. I might look at a waterproof, elongated compression sack next. Anyone know of a good one?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sea to summit make a good one, can't post a link as im on my phone but a Google of sea to summit compression sack should yield results

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
"Bedroll" : 1. one blanket, rolled.2. A canvas cover and one or two blankets, rolled.
Modern stuff: Warmer, lighter, more weather-resistant, not a bedroll.
<grumpy>Reading bedroll posts before asking a question</grumpy>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE