Bed Roll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I don't know if this has been asked before so if it has my appologies. I did a search but nowt came up.
I was watching Ray on the box the other night and he had a bed roll on the floor. Now, having tried and suffered in a hammock (I can't sleep on my back) but can relax in one, I am wanting to know where I can get a decent bedroll from?
I have tried a search on the tinternet but all it comes up with is either the foam ones or the Thermarest ones. Having had a Theremarest and suffering burn holes from the fire I want a proper bed roll.
Any ideas or sites I could go on?
Cheers and kindest regards.
John

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
I don't know about Ray's setup, but I know what a pain it is to have a spark go through your mattress (my Fair Airic became a 'Flat Airic'!). What I did after that was to make a simple bedroll from an old woollen blanket (a wee bit of cutting and sewing - all very simple). Slip the mat and sleeping bag inside and they're pretty much protected from sparks. You can make a pillow pocket to stuff your jacket etc into as well while you're at it.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
im not sure which episode of rays your refering to but i was under the impression he used a bivi with his sleeping bag and kipmat in.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
army officers used to use an officers camp kit if memory serves me and looks similar to the one ray used you could maybe try silvermans military surplus havent looked myself just a thought

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We had bedrolls when we were kids that were just oiled canvas bags that were stuffed with either bracken or grass for using under our blankets when sleeping outdoors. Later airbeds came into fashion and I haven't seen the bedrolls since. Cagoul fabric is pretty cheap, folds down to nothing and since it's waterproof might work very well or waxed cotton or even a cheap tarpaulin cut up and sewn to size.

Cheers,
Toddy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I can confirm that the duluthpack bedroll in top notch!

I did have details of another one that was similar in cotton canvas... I'll try and dig it out.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I used to use an old bivi bag (that had lost it's waterproofness) and stuffed it with dry grass on site as a mattress. Then I used a decent bivi bag on top to sleep in. When I struck camp I just dumped the grass, rolled up the bag and moved on.

In the army, back in the sixties, we used to get issued a canvas bag known as a palliass (sp?) which we stuffed with straw. These were great to sleepon as they adapted to your body shape and were good insulators as well. Basically it is just a big bag with lace ties along the top to keep the straw in. It would take half an hour on the sewing machine to make one, and calico would be a good material for making it from. A more modern one, with three layers of calico would make a decent bed roll. Bottom and mid layer stuffed with straw/grass/bracken and middle and top layer to sleep in. Give it a good paint with Thompson's waterseal and it should be good for most weathers.

Eric

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Friar Tuck said:
I don't know if this has been asked before so if it has my appologies. I did a search but nowt came up.
I was watching Ray on the box the other night and he had a bed roll on the floor. Now, having tried and suffered in a hammock (I can't sleep on my back) but can relax in one, I am wanting to know where I can get a decent bedroll from?
I have tried a search on the tinternet but all it comes up with is either the foam ones or the Thermarest ones. Having had a Theremarest and suffering burn holes from the fire I want a proper bed roll.
Any ideas or sites I could go on?
Cheers and kindest regards.
John

I had one of these for a time:

http://www.tentsmiths.com/tent-camp-accessories-ground-cloth.html

It was so waterproof, you'd end up wet in the morning from condensation. I converted it into a rain poncho/groundcloth.

PG

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Have taken a look at Tamarack Outdoors site and found a Duluth Pack Bedroll for £110.00. Looks ok (not sure its worth £110 :eek: ) and the shop is only down the road from me so will go and have a mooch and see what its like up close.
Many thanks again to all.
Stay safe and happy travels.
John

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Friar Tuck said:
Many thanks for all your suggestions. Have taken a look at Tamarack Outdoors site and found a Duluth Pack Bedroll for £110.00. Looks ok (not sure its worth £110 :eek: ) and the shop is only down the road from me so will go and have a mooch and see what its like up close.
Many thanks again to all.
Stay safe and happy travels.
John

John,

As I mentioned, I have one and It's well worth the money in my opinion, supremely well made, well thought out and even looks nice.

I would give them a ring first though as when I spoke to them, they were running out of duluthpack stock and didn't sound like they were getting any more in because of the duty/import costs.

Also be careful with the size, there are 2 versions and I would recommend the long one personally as you can sink right in to it if it's howling outside.

Cheers,

Joe

You were right Joe. They don't stock them now as they were costing a fortune with the P and P. They suggested ordering direct from Duluth over in the good old US of A.
Not sure if I like the idea of ordering abroad :(
Is anyone a regular satisfied buyer from America or has anyone any suggestions to steer clear of the pitfalls? :eek:
Cheers.
Johnny F

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Friar Tuck said:
You were right Joe. They don't stock them now as they were costing a fortune with the P and P. They suggested ordering direct from Duluth over in the good old US of A.
Not sure if I like the idea of ordering abroad :(
Is anyone a regular satisfied buyer from America or has anyone any suggestions to steer clear of the pitfalls? :eek:
Cheers.
Johnny F
I occasionally get things sent over from the US without any problems. A few folks on here have had stuff from Duluth (look for threads on Duluth packs). The only "pitfall" is the VAT you get charged and the handling fee that the courier/post office/parcel force or whoever put on top. anything from £6 to £12 :eek: You can try and ask the seller to declare on the customs docket "Gift, value less than $50" so you don't get taxed. If they can send it via USPS (the American post office) it gets handled this end by the post office, who are the slackest at charging duty. Had a packet from the US this week with a £12 charge on it that they didn't try and collect, just delivered it :)

Hi Les, me getting on in years would like a bit of comfort mate :D . I know I can't take my posturepaedic bed with me but I would like to be half comfy, and lying on a thin foam mat just doesn't do it for me.
Maybe I should go back to a Thermarest inside a burn resistant bag!!! Now theres an idea.....
Johnny F

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Friar Tuck said:
Thermarest inside a burn resistant bag!!! Now theres an idea.....
Johnny F
Not a bad idea, how about one of those fire blankets that you get in commercial kitchens for pan fires? They pack up small enough, and I wouldn't have thought they weigh much.

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
Know what you mean about the foam mat, what I forgot to say is I make sure that I make a mattress out of branches and the like and put the bivvi on that. The mat just helps with insulation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE