Becoming An Outdoors-Woman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Notwithstanding that many will no doubt find the following a little patronising, I can’t though help feeling that something like this should be seriously considered by a number of promoters of the “Outdoors” in this country. Anything that promotes greater awareness born of participation can only be a good thing and if this means women only workshops I don’t see the problem. After all who would argue with my assertion that we need a few more Bush Babes roaming the woods?!!

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10369_15424-35613--,00.html

Cheers

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I know, I apologise, just a gag. I think it sounds like a good idea.

Though the course I was on at the weekend was almost half female, I would imagine there must be loads of females that would like to get out there and 'do stuff' but are put off by the large groups of males they perceive to be involved in such activities.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We used to have a forum for females but it wasn't used much and most of the ladies wanted to just get on with things without calling attention to themselves. We've got more of them on here now though.

I think having more for the ladies that like the outdoors is a good idea.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm with Spacemonkey on this one; with on small proviso.......accept the differences, appreciate the differences, enjoy the differences. :)
Humans come in (at least ;) ) two distinct varieties, with lots of crossovers in physical fitness and ability, if people, especially the fellow participants, in any training course are 'adult' not 'sub-adult' in behaviour then there are no issues.

How many of the outdoors course providers in the UK feel the need (and remember, as commercial organisations it'd be to their financial advantage) to arrange regular female only courses? I can hear the outcry now though if they specified *male* only ones :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I dont like it either.

Ive been to women only workshops and it made me cringe (whilst checking my bits to see if I had anything in common with them.)

(I apologise for that crudity...they were that bad.)

Now that the Scouts are open to the Unfair Sex.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Some women are intimidated by male watchers/ competitors. Women only swimming seems a success in my local pool. Guys are clumsy, pushy, over vigorous and stare a lot in that environment. What do guys do in bushcraft environments that might offend? :confused:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Personally, I have no experience of this, all of the meets I've been at have been 'discreet' about normal body functions, either male or female. I'm reliably informed that this is not always the attitude.
In the past, I have been there when the 'stupid women/ you don't belong here/good for one thing only/ attitude surfaced, but that was when among a more juvenile age group.
There's a kind of banter that is familiar but acceptable fun, there's a level though when it becomes out and out intimidation.......for either male or female.
I think social issues are always the hardest to balance happily.

Female swimming groups are a different matter; so many women find bathing suits just too revealing of all their flaws, especially in these days of the airbrushed and siliconed ideal so prominantly exposed and displayed in magazines and the like. Physical reality is rarely so perfect.
Cultural issues come in here too, many women just will not be seen wearing so little in a*public* place. I doubt many women would object to men having their own swimming sessions if there was a call for it.

Cheers,
Toddy

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Toddy said:
all of the meets I've been at have been 'discreet' about normal body functions, either male or female. I'm reliably informed that this is not always the attitude.

At the last mates meet I was at one of my mate's fiancee bought one of the below in the local camping shop and while she didn't give us a demo ( :eek: ) she did pass it round for us all to have a look at. Ok we all had a little schoolboy giggle but it was good natured and all of us, boys and girls, agreed it was quite a good idea.

Anyway, it's called a "shewee" and it enables a woman to wee standing up like a chap does.

http://www.shewee.com/

Hope it's of use or interest to some of you :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
i only read the bottom of the page , i couldnt see the rest for the laughter tears, but i have to ask, is this for real or is someone taking the pi** ??? lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No. It's for real. :confused:

See, I *like* being female, I enjoy being female........but I really like that men are male............hope that makes sense :)
I can understand not wanting to drop your drawers in arctic or exposed conditions, but it's not really *that* great an inconvenience. I don't *want* to have male bits :rolleyes: , I like the ones I have, I'd prefer that my friend's daughters (I have none) grew up liking being themselves, as themselves. I really hope my sons appreciate that females *are* :rolleyes:

I don't think I'm making things very clear here........I'm going to go and do something girly instead, just 'cos I can ;)

:grouphug:

toddy

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hmm, I'm not altogether in favour of segregation, most people who are into bushcraft tend to be fairly independent and confident anyway. Having said that, I know a few women mountainbikers who have attended, and enjoyed, women only weekends. And I have to say, anything that encourages more women to participate is a good thing, as I have yet to find my bushbabe.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Toddy said:
No. It's for real. :confused:

See, I *like* being female, I enjoy being female........but I really like that men are male............hope that makes sense :)
I can understand not wanting to drop your drawers in arctic or exposed conditions, but it's not really *that* great an inconvenience. I don't *want* to have male bits :rolleyes: , I like the ones I have, I'd prefer that my friend's daughters (I have none) grew up liking being themselves, as themselves. I really hope my sons appreciate that females *are* :rolleyes:

I don't think I'm making things very clear here........I'm going to go and do something girly instead, just 'cos I can ;)

:grouphug:

toddy
You mean Viv la difference (typed in an 'Allo 'Allo style).

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
this just brought to mind an old joke,,,,,,,,,, a tree surgeon asks his apprentice,"how do you tell the front of a tree from the back of a tree"?the apprentice goes into a long and rambling explination of moss growning on the north side, wood peckers only drilling nest holes away from prevailing wind etc, etc, etc,
the tree surgeon says "thats all very texnical, but why not look for the pile of sh*t"?
the apprentice looks baffled till the tree surgeon says,,,,,,,,,,,"well would you go for a sh*t at the front of a tree?????"
not exactly the same, but you get the picture, lol.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I don't know about other males here :confused: but i like having women along when doing outdoor things.

The fairer sex usually makes for a much better companion and i find that the "tales round the campfire" do not get too out of control with regards to 'exageration'

A bit like my martial arts class, as my sensei says when new members don't want to roll round on the floor with the opposite sex-

"There are no men, women or children in this dojo...only martial artists"

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
dommyracer said:
But who would make sure the house was tidy when we got back from the woods??
OK. I know this is a joke. I know people find it funny. I understand this. But frankly, I've been on the receiving end of that kind of thing so often that jokes and comments like that honestly make me reconsider what the hell I'm doing in the company of the people who've said it. Why spend time with people who enjoy putting me down? I'm no masochist, I've plenty of other things I can be doing. And generally, when something says something like that, I head off to do those other things. If it happens a few more times, I just don't bother with them again. (I reiterate, I do know that it's meant as a joke. Nevertheless.)
The only reason I kept reading this thread was because I knew Toddy had posted, and I knew she'd have something reasonable to say. And oddly enough, I thoroughly agree with everything she said. :D

Snufkin said:
most people who are into bushcraft tend to be fairly independent and confident anyway.
Or is it because only the ones who are fairly independent and confident are prepared to admit to it? Because the less confident ones are scared to look silly in front of their mates who think it's stupid?
I've also noticed that when an activity is dominated by one gender, the few people there of the other gender are generally independent, confident, and good at what they do. This is because the ones who aren't, feel intimidated or sidelined and don't bother after a while.

Reactions: bambodoggy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE