Becoming An Outdoors-Woman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Spacemonkey said:
Sorry, but i really can't see the point of women only workshops. Why would they want to be taught seperately? We're all there to learn the same stuff aren't we?

It's interesting that in most of the bushcraft courses I've attended or helped out there has not been a problem with male or female stereotypes. I think it has to do with the fact that both are starting from a similar base i.e. little or no experience with fire by friction, ethnobotany, native shelter building, cordage etc. and are there to learn

However on the adventure programmes, the stereotypes emerge - the guys hog the paddles for the white water rafting and the ladies sit in the middle generally - the men storm ahead on the mountain, rush around on the casualty evacuations and dominate the raft building etc. This I think may be because there is asymmetry in the confidence levels in doing outdoor activities between girls/women and boys/men. Some blokes like to show off too!

We've tried to raise our girls to be confident in the outdoors. I like the simple maxim of a guy I've never met who raised some exceptionally capable girls. When a friend of mine asked him about his daughters he told her " Because my daughters are not going to be dependant on some guy"!

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I've only been to one gathering where there was a good mix of men women and children and I was impressed how inclusive it was. It was also interesting to see the variety of backgrounds that we all came from and how bushcraft was a uniting influence.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I was taught archery and canoeing by female instructors. It's interesting how my male mind works, as when I was unable to follow the instructor round an island on a windy day, I figured (correctly) it must be down to her superior technique rather than sheer muscle power. I might not have realised this if the instructor had been a 7 foot bloke with gorilla like biceps.

I like the Scottish bushcraft meets. There are quite a lot of women, a lot of children, lots of smiles and laughter, different rubbish bags for recycling glass etc, and the whole atmosphere is that of an unusually harmonious village rather than a military outpost. I don't think it would be so good without the 'bushbabes'.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Klenchblaize said:
... and if this means women only workshops I don’t see the problem...
I’m not that keen on any form of segregation. One of the organisations I belong to has committees dominated by white middle class males. To improve diversity on committees it has set up a woman’s network; a key feature of which is anyone can join – even me :D . I rather like that ethos.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I didn't click the link for the shewee as I think I have some idea what it is already. A female colleague made a device so that she could urinate like a bloke last year on exercise in Canada. She was sick to death of getting her butt bit by mozzies (lucky mozzies!) as she had to do the obvious and was envious of us blokes who didn't have to strip to pee.

She made it from one of those oxygen masks which she got from the medics, and a length of tubing so that she could direct the flow, so to speak! I don't know if she had to shake the tube at the end though!! :D

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Tengu said:
Now that the Scouts are open to the Unfair Sex.
We have had girls in scouts since 1967 as Venture Scouts and since 1992 in other sections although they have the option of staying single sex until the end of the year when all sections are mixed. :D

I have worked with both single sex and mixed and wouldn't go back to boys only now even if you paid me, it would be like watching a balck and white TV or listeneing to a stereo with one of the speakers missing :eek:

I still get complaints from parents (normally boy only families) that boys need somewhere to go away from girls. My normal response is suggest hat they join a football club or go to the YMCA :aargh4:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
spamel said:
I didn't click the link for the shewee as I think I have some idea what it is already. A female colleague made a device so that she could urinate like a bloke last year on exercise in Canada.

AARGGHHH LA LA LAL LA HMMMM NOISE NOISE NOISE..... too much onformation (as my kids would have said two years ago)

Last year I was having a quiet pee by myself behind a bush in the middle of the ashdown forest thinking I was miles from anybody when a lady (50-60) stood right next to me with one of those :censored: devices and had took a leak, but she didn't stop! Another 5 minutes and they could have lifted the hosepipe ban. :eek: At first I thought it was a bloke in drag but my wife said no.

There is a certain unwritten set of rules about using urinals in gents toliets, ie you don't stand next to somebody unless you have to and certainly don't stare. She seemed blissfully unaware of both such rules.

I like to think of myself as being relatively open but I have never been so embarrassed or felt so awkward, I had finished but couldn't move. It was like a rabbit in headlights! It wasn’t that could see me that was the problem, but being English it just felt so wrong that I could see her :confused:

To make it worse SWMBO thought it was so funny that she almost needed one herself and even now I get the mick ripped out of me mercillesy about it, all her mates know and make apoint of reminding me of my apparent double standards. :bluThinki

Still at least I didn't have to put a wet bit of plastic back in MY rucksack. :(

Reactions: bambodoggy

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
And I thought I was bad at taking threads "off topic"!!

I hear what people are saying about segregation etc. but still believe many women are initially put off from even trying certain things by what is all-too-often perceived as a male-dominated environment. That’s not to say that once they’ve had a go and found they both like it and can actually do it that they will not venture into the mainstream of any given interest. I guess the other thing being overlooked here is that not all women particularly like the company of men!

Sheweeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, if they are like the women I had to keep company with at my groups then you are better off without them.

"I blame all my problems on my mother telling me I was ugly when I was a girl."

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i think you chaps are being niave if you can not understand why woman would want woman only classes.
not all woman -
but a lot prefer it just is the way it is .
though maybe some more woman need to step up and take instructor roles !

would be good to experiment with a few woman only classes see what the attendence was like and whether it increased attendance and participation .

certainly i dont think every workshop should neccesaraly have a woman only option as well . i mean we all have to just muck in and accept what is on offer and make the best of it, men and woman.
a few woman only would be good for those woman who would feel more comfatable in that enviroment and for those who just prefer it .

i for one am now looking for dresses and a few wigs
lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE