Beaver scout camp blanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I have realised that my wife is actually wrong about something :eek: question now is, how do I break it to her gently?

Back story, I purchased a couple of italian army blankets, one in pretty good condition, one rotted down the middle. After cutting out the bad part, sewing it back together and tidying the edges, the remainder makes a perfect beaver sized poncho, perfect for sewing badges onto and sitting around the fire. Now the boss is of the opinion that this is a terrible thing to do and I should buy him the Beaver Tm poncho, I am of the, correct, opinion that a hand made army blanket poncho is both better and more stylish. Question is, how do I change her mind?

I am facing the same choice for 8yo son who is going to first Cub camp.

Most of the other boys just have the standard one from the scout shop - but how ridiculous to have a camp blanket made of plastic?

He'll probably be teased and feel a bit odd at first in a homemade one, but will be better off in the long run.

Currently looking for a suitable blanket that wont be too scratchy!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It may help if you get hold of a few of the badges he has earnt, and sew them on... Then its a start of a hobby, my boy used to like using myold campfire blanket cause he had loads to talk about when people asked what they were

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
I've got a few US army badges your boy could have for free to sew on his army / beaver scout poncho. It will break the ice and be a talking point. I think I have the air cav and navy seals, and a few others ? If you want p.m me

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My camp blanket got so heavy from the badges sewn on it that I could barely walk while wearing it!
Real blanket all the way!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
You tell her it is a 'Scout' camp blanket that grows with him as he progresses through the sections - It will show his scouting history and he wouldn't want to wear a beaver blanket when he is a grown up cub!

like John my blanket was so heavy that It was too warm to wear round the fire and generally was used as a pillow. Still have it now and that is almost 40 years since I was a Cub (no beavers in my day!)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Army Blanket all the way:

campblanket.jpg
campblanket2.jpg

Last edited:

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
take your wife out. first buy her some perfume or nail polish of her choice. then to dinner and tell her you have another pressie at home. then presented with both of your masterpiece. if you still wrong. take her to a moot. she will iove. at the end of the day you are still wrong. you are just the worker. get that right in your head. enjoy telling her she is wrong?????????????

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
We have come to an agreement. I finish the poncho and let the lad make his own mind up. Which I am 100% sure will be in my favour, as, given the choice, he always sides with me. His sister on the other hand maybe a tougher challenge...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE