Beards....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
No choice for me - I cann't grow a beard, just a bit of a goatee.

However, I do notice the difference if I shave in the morning before going out- much colder. I believe it is due to shaving removing the oil from the skin (plus a bit of dead skin).

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
As a norm I shave every two days or so(wife doesn't like beards), but as soon I head out bushcrafting and the like I let it grow. I do find it more comfortable and it preserves the oils on my face which are scratched away everytime I shave.

I have never had it that long but I have often wonder what I would look like with a beard.

My two scents

James

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
I've had a beard for most of the last 15 years, you can guarantee if I trim it in winter the weather will turn colder. Is that how shamen control the weather. To make it rain go out without your umbrella.

Anyway back to the point. When someone says to me that they think beards are dirty I point out that I speak Hebrew and am circumcised and maybe there's a bit of anti semetism in their comments. Works a treat, especially when I hint at sueing them for discrimination.

I've seen all kinds of beards, and had a few different styles even platting it once like an egyptian pharoe (not verry successfully). Soon my beard will be the only place I can grow hair so I'm keeping it and trying to get it put on the endangered list.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
When I was 17 I developed a minging zit the size of a small Iron Age hill fort right on my chin....it looked horrid.....so, I sprouted a nice little goatee to hide it.... apart from the time I was in the TA I have had it ever since....I used to hate shaving it off for the TA but luckily they weren't all that bothered if we were away for a few weeks or more....we even used to have beard growing competitions! lol

Since I've been out I've kept it full time and am much happer with it...I don't know what difference it makes for weather proofing as I've never been in cold places without it and in hot places I use my clippers to trim it down to a grade II so it doesn't bother me there either.... When I was 18 I let it grow and platted it in two points (very Ming the merciless) but after waking up one morning and finding choc chips in it from a mar's tracker bar I'd eaten the night before along with traces of runny egg yoke from the day before's breakfast, I trimmed it again.

My Wife prefers me in it too....she won't let me shave it off....says it doesn't look like me.

So far....the only down side is that no matter what I do (tried sealing with vasaline etc) I simply cannot get a 100% good seal on my diving mask when out snorkelling.....then again, despite being a BSAC Senior Snorkel Instructor I don't really snorkel much anymore!!!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
R-Bowskill said:
I've had a beard for most of the last 15 years, you can guarantee if I trim it in winter the weather will turn colder. Is that how shamen control the weather. To make it rain go out without your umbrella..

Totally agree....at Ashdown last month I deliberately left my Oakley sunnies at home and took along my dpm umberella.....

It pee'd down where I live but in Ashdown....it was fairly ok and we even had a few minutes of blue sky on the Saturday afternoon! lol

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Bearded, 20 years and counting (since I left school) though it varies in style from a neat goatee (or Van Dyke if I'm feeling pretentious) in Summer to a full Chris Bonnington/Brian Blessed number in Winter.

Definitely warmer - I wear an openface 'bike helmet all year round.

I have always been able to grow a full, thick, curly and highly insulative beard (since 17/18 yo) :super:

...The price I pay...

It's ginger :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Presumably those who find a beard presents hygiene problems also shave their legs, arms**, heads and other hairy bits :rolmao:

Jim.

**Yes, well, sharpening prolly deals with that bit for 50% of the forum :roll:

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Sigh...I have never been able to cultivate anything worthy of the title of "beard". Already into my 40s, and I am still plagued with the dreaded "rugby" beard. [i.e. 15 a side]

I remember being inordinately proud of one beard growing attempt in my twenties only to have a close friend enquire as to why I had shaved odd strips through the beard. I think his exact words were "what are those gaps, fire breaks?".

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
bambodoggy said:
So far....the only down side is that no matter what I do (tried sealing with vasaline etc) I simply cannot get a 100% good seal on my diving mask when out snorkelling.....

I found the same problem with a gas mask and our family Doc shared that I'd have to shave in order to get maximum benefit of a surgical mask.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
RovingArcher said:
I found the same problem with a gas mask and our family Doc shared that I'd have to shave in order to get maximum benefit of a surgical mask.

Yer, I think a full beard would cause problems with sealing....odd that the RAF and Army don't allow them but the RN does.... :?:

I've only ever had a goatee and don't have it going that far down my chin so I've not had an issue with my respirator not sealing....for NBC weekends I just shaved it off....lol...but most of the time it was fine :wink:

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
If you spend any time on a motorbike, you will realise a beard offers very little thermal protection......until you shave it off :shock: !!!!

As for hygiene, there are two options 1) trim your tache or 2) wax it.

Either way, icecream cones and cream cakes are a no-no :?:

I find that trimming my moustache makes sharp tips which stab my lip, so I sweep them aside with a wax of roughly 50/50 beeswax and vaselline. Always include a tube of wax in my pack, where it can also be used to protect carbon steel, lubrication and emergency tinder. :chill:

Yes, I condition it. Just wish my head hair was as thick and full bodied. :super:

As for gas masks, Sikhs in the army get special versions which extend to the chest to get a decent seal. Don't know how effective that is.

The good lady says it softens my appearance. Others say I look like Charles Manson :rolmao:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Phil I heard that the RN allow beards by order of Queen Victoria, apparently she liked the idea of all the bearded sailors on the Atlantic :?:
Beard trivia: my half sister applied for a job at Disneyland Paris and on the application form it said that you can't have a beard as it "does not promote clean family values" !!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
arctic hobo said:
Beard trivia: my half sister applied for a job at Disneyland Paris and on the application form it said that you can't have a beard as it "does not promote clean family values" !!

Be interesting to see how they managed to get that past the EU Human rights laws for Muslims and Jews etc that have beards as part of their religion! :shock: Mind you, France banned skul caps and head scarfs so who knows..... :?:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Ok chaps, could we stick to the original topic a little more? Posts seem to be veering a little and I have had one PM asking what some of this has to do with bushcraft and the outdoors.

Doc said:
Mountaineering and polar explorer types seem to prefer a beard. Must admit to never having grown one - not allowed in the TA, of course.

Is it really warmer? Here is the research evidence:

http://mudhead.uottawa.ca/~pete/beard.html

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
beard.gif

That's the maddest thing I've ever seen. :Crazy_071 :eek:): :yikes:

Laughed my bottom off !! Imagine going into the newsagents for a paper with your face turned to one side, then turning the other way whilst the assistant isn't looking !! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE