Bearclaw bushcarft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
Does anyone knows bearclaw bushcraft? Are their courses good?
Considering what's on their website, it looks promissing.

Luciano

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Did the Vildmark course last year...great experience. High quality instruction from knowledgeable people and an excellent social side :)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I as yet have not been on a Bearclaw course.........But I have heard through friends that have been on the course's that they are very good. :)

Bam better let me........Big up this one.........Don't want you getting in trouble again.....lol :lmao:

Monkey

May 16, 2005
Lee-on-Solent
did the greenhorn beginners course in Sept and they are tip top!!
sound knowledge and good instruction, and a good laugh thrown in!
you won't go far wrong

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Gary & JP run some very good courses that are very well thought off in the bushcraft community.
Being impartial, however, I must also recommend all of the other schools - Johnny @survival school, ben & lisa @ woodsmoke, Wayne @ Forest nights, Mors@Karamack, John@ Woodcraft, some bloke called "Ray" @Woodlore, The bloke from Dryad, my mate Pat from Backwoods Survival School, the legendary Dave Watson @ Woodlandsurvivalcrafts, Andrew @ Nomad, god this list has got a lot longer from the early days.
I should also mention that I work for Bisonbushcaft and all of the above run courses of varying levlels to anyone looking for instruction in bushcraft skills.
N

Reactions: Toddy

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
Neil1 said:
Gary & JP run some very good courses that are very well thought off in the bushcraft community.
Being impartial, however, I must also recommend all of the other schools - Johnny @survival school, ben & lisa @ woodsmoke, Wayne @ Forest nights, Mors@Karamack, John@ Woodcraft, some bloke called "Ray" @Woodlore, The bloke from Dryad, my mate Pat from Backwoods Survival School, the legendary Dave Watson @ Woodlandsurvivalcrafts, Andrew @ Nomad, god this list has got a lot longer from the early days.
I should also mention that I work for Bisonbushcaft and all of the above run courses of varying levlels to anyone looking for instruction in bushcraft skills.
N

Yes, I did the friction fire lighting course with Dave Watson, of Woodland Survival Crafts. Top notch, great instructors, very nice guys. And regarding fire by friction, they are indeed VERY knowledgeable.

I've taken a look on Woodcraft school's instructor course... very interesting, I was keen to do that one and see how I would do as a bushcraft instructor back in Brazil. However the cost put me waaaay off. Fees for overseas students are a horrible £4,000!

It was nice dreaming of it, though.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Neil1 said:
god this list has got a lot longer from the early days.

I bet there are more that you've missed too, or are part way through setting up. :)

Can't say much more about Bearclaw thats not already been said, I went on the Vildmark, Sweden, course this year and it was a great course. As was the Forest Knight's bushcraft course I did.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
maybe I should develop my question (and I don't know if this would be better as a new thread, as the answers can be quite usefull to a lot of people):

I will be in the UK only for a couple more years, before going back to Brazil.
I've been always involved with wild camping, have been a boy scout's chief, spent some time researching indigenous peoples, made some knives, some sundials, have learnt the basics of cattle work in gaucho ranches in the South American grasslands and have been around pretty much. I actually choosed anthropology as my profession because I wanted to be outdoors. Now, as I finish my PhD, it becomes even more clear that I have to made new choices, because although I can be a scholar, I would prefer something more "hands on" on life, if you know what I mean.

When I first got here, I was quite happy to learn that all that I was involved and interested with has been put under a name (bushcraft), and actually had quite a tradition. This meant courses, books, forums, and lots of people to talk to and to learn from (thumbs up for this forum and the one on britishblades).
As I don't have a lot ££ available, I am trying to decide for the right shot, the best way of parting with some money and having the most in return.

As now I thought a few possibilities:
The woodcraft school instructor scheme: one year, seems very good, I would go back to my neck of the woods with a sound knowledge, but is too expensive (£4,000 for overseas students)

Concentrating on specialty courses, for instance doing one in bow making, one in friction fire lighting (already did that one with Dave Watson), one in tracking. The idea here would be getting the harder details right, and I would have the work of putting it all together.

Concentrating on doing a one week introduction to bushcraft. Good point is that I would develop a good foundation, on top of which I could build.

I know there is a lot of people here with a lot of experience, even instructors, and I would really appreciate if you give me a tip. What would be the best way to gain sound bushcraft knowledge? Something that doen's break the bank, but that would make a difference if I decide to try to make a living through bushcraft in Brazil. Or, in the worst hipotesis (which is by all means still quite good), something that would provide me with lots of knowledge and contentment every time I spend a couple of weeks in the woods or plains of South America.

Cheers,
Luciano

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
wll, as my doubts took a wider scope, I thought it would be better to start a new thread, and maybe other people could find the answers usefull.

It is on the same subforum, under "Which path to bushcraft?".
Thanks for the information on Bearclaw. :You_Rock_

Cheers,
Luciano

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
Bhold said:
wll, as my doubts took a wider scope, I thought it would be better to start a new thread, and maybe other people could find the answers usefull.

It is on the same subforum, under "Which path to bushcraft?".
Thanks for the information on Bearclaw. :You_Rock_

Cheers,
Luciano

So please, answer on the new thread. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE