Bear Grylls

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear, Ray and Lars Molsens all bumped into each other in a bar, all were chatting away about what they actually did.

Bear told an amazing story, with almost unbeleviable bravery, fool hardy some would say.
Beating all odds with no support, amazing really, superhuman feats of amazing daring and courage over many days.
Ray said he was inspired by many cultures and traditions and wanted to explore these and expand his knowledge on them and he made a hell of a lot of money sharing and marketing this which made a lot of blokes who otherwise may never have adopted this way in their own culture have a greater sense of identity and pride in their own roots.
Before Lars Molsen could speak up, Bear butted in and retratcted part of his earlier statement.
Lars said he just got up one day and walked all across Canada, Alaska and lots of other places and even spent a whole year living out in the sticks alone in Scandinavia and occassionally being supported by some buddies or partner. He never really told the english speaking world much about what he did, he just did it and was a whole lot happier within himslef for doing so. After the evening was over, Bear left in a helicopter, Ray left in his Landrover and Lars ski'd away with his dog and pulk.

I know who I'd rather share a few beers with around a camp fire! :D

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I think Bear get's a hard time on this forum, he's achieved more in his short life than probably anyone else on here and yet people just slag off his tv programmes, who cares what SAS he was in, he still made it there and i'm pretty sure that's beyond most peoples capabilities. He's still doing most peoples dream jobs, everyone seems to be biast towards ray mears which is understandable as it's a bushcraft forum but Ray Mears comes across as the most boring man on the planet. It's fine to make shelters and get the perfect fire going by just using two pieces of wood but if my life depends on it and i have nothing to lose then i'm going to be trying what Bear does and if it get's me killed well then atleast it's better than starving. If i can cut open a deer and shelter inside it in 5 mins then i'd rather do that than waste an hour building a shelter. I'd also rather eat raw meat if it's available than spend 3 hours waiting for it to cook in an oven made from stones that were heating for 5 hours also. Bear has climbed everest, circumnavigated the country on a boat most of us would't trust to go across a loch, paraglyded over he himalayas and had books published. What have you done this past 5 years?? Give the guy a break.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Brought aid to people in Africa, raised a handful of children to be semi-well behaved, paraglided over the castle from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, served my country in the Armed Forces, sailed around the Baltic in a yacht, watched young turtles raise to the challenge of descending the beach to the sea on Ascension Islands, fished for wild trout in the rivers and sea in the Falkland Islands, skied in Austria and germany, competed in Boarder cross and slalom events for the Army Snowboarding Championships coming a respectable third place in my novice year and shared a sauna with four german women, all in their sixties. The last one was more harrowing then anything Bear has done!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I think Bear get's a hard time on this forum, .........
................Give the guy a break.

He does and he deserves to. ..............
............... hopefully its his neck and not some copy cat's.

When his programmes come clear about the fakery (see many posts and internet articles) and do not advocate dangerous actions just for tv effect (eg swimming through wood choked canyon springs to mind amongst others) he would I'm sure be much better received by me and others on this site.

'Til then I'll keep putting the counter argument to his celebrity:)

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE