Bear Grylls knife replica...your opinions!

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
i wouldent bother ,but iv a nice gerber lmf 2 full kit only selling as i have a rob bayley s4 now as a user and to be honest the gerber is near to it £50 cheers mate

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The Rob Baily originals are supposed to be superb quality, regardless of design. He has a back order for over 700 knives and you can only register as "interested" at the moment. Therefore anyone selling them on ebay as 6 available or whatever, is obviously lying and selling cheap Chinese fakes. You therefore have to assume that every aspect of the advert is a lie and all you will be getting is a cheap Chinese knife with your hero's name on it. If what you want is a cheap Chinese knife with your hero's name on it and are willing to pay £60 for it, buy one.

Hey, wanna buy a Frosts Mora hand signed by Ray Mears? Yours for £150 - Tell your friends, I've an unlimited supply. :D

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I quite honestly wouldn't want to be associated to that drama queen in any way, shape or form, to have any item of kit with his name on it would just about bring me out in a rash and I don't think I could live with the embarrassment.
Also the knife is serrated and I just don't do serrated knives.
Then there's the fact that its some knock off company, not noted for their commitment to quality or returns policy.

Apart from that it looks a great deal...

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
[h=2]"STRONGEST BEAR GRYLLS REPLICA AVAILABLE,GUARANTEED!!!"[/h]I'm pretty sure I don't want a replica of the knife, either. ;)

My loyalty to Bear exudes primarily from his status as Chief Scout (and I'm an ASL), but though I think he was a good choice and is a good role model and figurehead in some ways, bush skills aren't one of them. He is far too destructive; both of the environment and his equipment. (doesn't he 'baton' with a rock in one of his videos?)

Thusly, I wouldn't want to openly endorse him in my equipment choices. Maybe if I had enough money to purchase a knife purely for a survival kit, that I actually might have some need of at some point, I'd opt for one of his; it has its strengths in that respect. But the one that that seller is offering, regardless of how good it actually is, is still a fake, and I'm not keen on that kind of overt copying. So very many products are 'inspired by' other ones, but that doesn't justify cheap knock-offs.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Cheers for all the replies and its interesting to hear everyones views lol. The replica/copy issue doesn't bother me at all as I would never be able to justify spending anywhere near 400 quid on a knife, wish I could :) was really interested in the quality and by the seems not really worth taking the risk even for £35! Would still like to try one though

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I was able to have a play with a copy recently, a non bg branded copy, the edge rolled and bent while battoning some green thumb thick, birch! the bloke wasnt to happy with me though! hahahahaha DONT BUY CHEAP TOSH! though its your cash dude, get what your heart wants!:)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
i wouldent bother ,but iv a nice gerber lmf 2 full kit only selling as i have a rob bayley s4 now as a user and to be honest the gerber is near to it £50 cheers mate

Hi, how much are you selling the Lmf 2 for? and what do you mean full kit?

Sorry to hijack

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I'm quite amazed thats still on there. It's a fake. Call it anything you like, but a fake is a fake. No way I'd trust my life to a rip off. It could be any old junk.

The fact it has a ripped picture of Bear holding the real one in the advertising pictures of it really does put salt into the wounds.

I also thought Ebay had a 'no fakes' policy? If so, how are those listings still active? Baffles me, it really does.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
[h=2]Bear Grylls knife replica...your opinions! ........
rofl.gif
[/h]

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have had a fake for the last couple of years actually- i bought it from a Chinese fellow who was advertising it on the US Ebay- just sent him a message via ebay, and we did a private paypal sale. Turned up a couple of weeks later. The sheath was rather nasty, but the knife is actually pretty good. It's supposed to be AUS8 steel- i have no idea if it is or not, but it is stainless, arrived pretty sharp, and does hold an edge well, even with quite regular battening. It's been discussed before, apparently the heat treat on the blades is a bit hit or miss- I think this time i just got lucky. For the price I was prepared to take the gamble. The sheath was rather nasty though! There are various versions of the clones about though, so one person’s experience doesn't mean you will be happy with one.

Just make sure you are happy with the ethics of buying a copy of someone else’s design before you take the plunge- many people have put forward good points that it's not really the done thing...

edited to say: I also smoothed off the G10 scales with wet and dry paper around the edges to improve comfort in the hand- they arrive a little square.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE