Bear follows man. Scary.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm afraid that bear won't survive long. If he's lost his inhibitions about approaching humans he will likely be destroyed. If you ever get to travel where wild bears roam, please don't feed them. All it does is condition them to seek humans as a food supply and that dooms them.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Scary indeed.

Bad enough being attacked by the likes of Pheasant and geese over here or a rutting deer.

Stalked by a bear though,:eek:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Now that would be a brown pants moment !!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Jason
It would certainly be that Jason, but what would you do in that situation ?if it kept coming like that , that is certainly a moment you would wish you never had a bushcraft knife and wish you had a big huge zombie slayer instead .

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
i wouldnt like to be in his shoes...would be interested to see the rest of that video, if indeed there ever was one! poor bear has probably been destroyed by now if it either a) attacked the guy or just got too close for food, or b) wandered into a touristy camp for food. things like this just serve to remind us that we belong to nature, it doesnt belong to us.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
We had a brown beer round our camp t'other year (camping in Northern Greece), fortunately adrenalin kicked in and there was a 3 of us, so we shouted, banged sticks against tress and once it started running away we ran after it 10m's or so with branches from the fire.

After the adrenalin had died down down i have to admit i physically was unable of standing as my knees had turned to jelly :lmao:

I think that guy had it worse though as he was on his own, and the beer was following him for a fair while.

Tough call though as if it attacks and your on your todd your absolutely screwed.
You can't out run, can't out climb it and you can't out swim it.

Only real chance you've got is to scare it off before it attacks or play dead.

Scary scary stuff.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That is seriously scary, I am amazed that in that situation, the first thing that he thought to do was to get the camera out and film it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We had a brown beer round our camp t'other year (camping in Northern Greece), fortunately adrenalin kicked in and there was a 3 of us, so we shouted, banged sticks against tress and once it started running away we ran after it 10m's or so with branches from the fire.

After the adrenalin had died down down i have to admit i physically was unable of standing as my knees had turned to jelly :lmao:

I think that guy had it worse though as he was on his own, and the beer was following him for a fair while.

Tough call though as if it attacks and your on your todd your absolutely screwed.
You can't out run, can't out climb...

Not neccessarily true. If that's a grizzly bear they cannot climb. At all. Hard to tell though from the video if it's a young grizz or a brown phase of a black bear.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Yeah. That makes me wonder what we're not seeing; is he staging it by baiting the bear?

I don't honestly think that anyone would be stupid enough to do that, but its an interesting point. The bear also seems surprisingly docile, not actually trying to attack him even though it is so close.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE