Bear and the Bat Incident

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
workers in a meat plant are not on TV, locals doing it are not on TV, you having a laugh at work are not on TV,in the public eye, head of and organization that teaches respect to young people, patron of a society that preaches the protection and respect of endangered animals, and being watched by anyone with TV\sky or Internet access, its not point along the same line, its knowing how to show and animal abundant or not some decent respect,

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nope, not from my place. Yikes I'd get kicked off the forum for good. An agency guy came one day and I nearly had kittens about the comments and ribbing he'd get! Reason his height. Loads of comments about being short staffed through to stuff rather distasteful, and that was despite them really getting on with him. Those guys think being politically correct is voting labour. At least it wasn't personal. They take the **** out everyone.

Work comments are always best filtered heavily when repeating in any civilisation.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
workers in a meat plant are not on TV, locals doing it are not on TV, you having a laugh at work are not on TV,in the public eye, head of and organization that teaches respect to young people, patron of a society that preaches the protection and respect of endangered animals, and being watched by anyone with TV\sky or Internet access, its not point along the same line, its knowing how to show and animal abundant or not some decent respect,

So it is about the tv element and not about respect for the animal or bat conservancy with some people. Your comments seem to say it is acceptable to behave in that way but not on tv. It is acceptable to laugh and joke whilst animals being slaughtered for food but not on tv. REspect is only important when it is on TV?? Hmmm! Is it respectfull to have a photograph of the hunters with their kill? Is it respectfull to kill animals then not eat them? Selective respect. I'm sure you do not do that Southey but I am just making a point that respect on tv is no more or less important than respect whilst not on tv. TV just accentuates it.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Another thing, if any kid does repeat it over here then it is evidence that the kid didn't have respect for animals before he copied the actions. Do you not think that kid might have worked out some of his own things to do without the TV show. Perhaps we should worry about what state society is in that kids can take the locally acceptble actions of BGG and repeat where it is not or even do much worse. BG is not repsonsible for what kids do. He might have been on a show that goes for ratings by making light of things but that is not a illegal or as bad a deal as some make out in my book. Much worse is happening that we don't get het up about.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I am talking specifically about Mr Grylls exploits on this segment of his show, not about the wider world, he (in my mind mind) does not even attempt to portray a healthy attitude to wards his prey, I have no problem with being happy about killing something I'm going to eat, as Ive accomplished what i set out to do, but i wouldn't whoop and holler about it,

I worked in a meat packers, and every one had a laugh, but no one played with the dead animals, or shouted about killing the animals, they just got on with, but bugger me it didn't half stink,

are you just taking a stand against censorship, or do you think his actions are acceptable?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I just think people are making a mountain out of a molehill and by prolonging it aren't we prolonging the exposure to what a lot think is inappropriate. I think it was slightly wrong but hardly worse than a lot of other stuff that gets shown without any comment on TV these days. Perhaps it isn't TV but its BG the chief scout that is the problem and not his actions on their own. I'm not a scout or scout leader so it doesn't influence me perhaps as much as others here who are scout leaders or the few who are kids and/or in scouts. He's also known for saying he likes to run around naked on his private island in an interview. The guy has a little bit of a tv personna as a prat. He does these stupid things on tv and to promote his tv. he is probably not that guy in real life. Its business and his livelihood socourse he is going to try to get his shows and other moneymaking commitments into the wider awareness. Perhaps he didn't expect the bat tennis to quite do that as much as it has, on here at least.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If you think we've made a lot of it on here, you should check out the W&E and bat forums. They have pitch forks and torches.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW I think it is acceptable if a little distasteful. I think censorship is important in our modern age. I don't argue against it unless it is inappropriate. I don't think itis appropriate to censor this only perhaps to put subtitled or voice over warnings about bat conservancy in other countrys and it being a survival technique only. Entertaining while showing technique is not as bad a crime if the animal has been subject to more cruelty than is part of its swift capture and dispatch. From the shots I saw the bats weren't moving after he caught them, quick death.

Anyway, what do I know? I've only dispatched fish before now as not a hunter type, through opportunity that is. I'd love to go out rabbit or other animal hunting for the pot. AHve been thinking of getting an air rifle though. What would you get with an air rifle BTW? Also where do you get to go out with it? How do you fiund somewhere to shoot them?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ok, fair enough, i can see what you mean,

The thing is I can see all sides, every comment makes me move another way. Then I remember what I saw and what it made me think of when I saw it. I was expecting something malicious about his comments but it didn't seem like that to me. I just wish I had the typeof house that could accomodate a few bats. I think they are nice to watch out of my window at night. Takes my eyes off tv for a bit. Live near a canal so see a lot of bats flying around my back yard. Also earlier this year found an excellent bat spot on the Rivers Rothay and Brathay at the topend of Windermere. in the half light you see loads of bats out a hunting. AMazing to feel them inchies about your head flying past at speed. Then the kingfishers too. Beautiful. Although bat tennis is not right for there.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
But I'm sure you've held up your catch with pleasure at the catch. He made some tennis comments on what he was doing which basically was a kind of tennis stroke. Anyone would think he was drowning kittens in a bucket or something truly distasteful. He made a tennis racket type of kit and made tennis like strokes to catch the bats. SOmeone said that was the local way of doing it in a place most likely abundent in these bats. His comments matched his actions. Yes perhaps it was distasteful that he made light of the death of animals but we eat animals (or most of us do) and I'm sure a lot of us have made jokes about it. I mean, from calling a lamb mint sauce to making tennis comments while catching bats in a way the locals did it. Just different points on the same line.

Question, do you make jokes and have a laugh at work? Do you think those people working in a slaughter house make jokes at work while preparing your food? Do you think that is worse than BG making jokes while catching food that no doubt the locals eat or used to having caught it this way? The only differences really is if the animals suffer a lot and it is on tv. The first doesn't really look like being the case. That leaves the tv element. Could that be alleviated by a warning about bat conservancy?

Pleasure at the catch and pleasure at killing are two seperate things.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Oops, sorry.
I posted without realising there was a page 2 containing the request.
Happy trails...torc.

Don't worry about it. It's easy to skip threads or misread them when you are speed reading. I'm guilty of that in this very thread.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

The 'Southern China' Episode was on Discovery here the other day. I seem to remember he eats a frog in the same episode..

There was a disclaimer shown after the 'bat' footage that the technique may be illegal in many countries and was being shown to demonstrate the technique used by the Li people..

Cheers

John

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I just think people are making a mountain out of a molehill and by prolonging it aren't we prolonging the exposure to what a lot think is inappropriate. I think it was slightly wrong but hardly worse than a lot of other stuff that gets shown without any comment on TV these days. Perhaps it isn't TV but its BG the chief scout that is the problem and not his actions on their own. I'm not a scout or scout leader so it doesn't influence me perhaps as much as others here who are scout leaders or the few who are kids and/or in scouts. He's also known for saying he likes to run around naked on his private island in an interview. The guy has a little bit of a tv personna as a prat. He does these stupid things on tv and to promote his tv. he is probably not that guy in real life. Its business and his livelihood socourse he is going to try to get his shows and other moneymaking commitments into the wider awareness. Perhaps he didn't expect the bat tennis to quite do that as much as it has, on here at least.

+1. Stupid thing he did, apology necessary. Blown up (maybe of proportion) by interest group. That's life as a celebrity. Nuff said.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE