Bear Alert!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Im guessing a lot of you guys will have seen this, but it was new on me so for those that haven't....

bearwarning.jpg

bearbait

And here is a sign from earlier this year in Alaska (at the Iditarod Trailhead outside Anchorage)...

IMG_3487_r.jpg

Well that doesn't give you a nice warm feeling at the start of the hike! (For Brown Bear read Grizzly Bear.) Decided that discretion was better than being lunch (or the being the subject of a sign saying Brown Bear Actively Defending Hiker Kill At Mile 8) so hiked a shorter loop of the Dew Mound Trail and the Iditarod. Talked to myself a lot and had my bear spray in my hand part of the time in thick cover - remember this was temperate rainforest. Didn't see any bear but did see loads of bear poop; none seemed warm. Not a wholly enjoyable hike!

Also to give some scale...

IMG_3366_cr.jpg

(Apologies for the quality but it's a photo of a photo!)

This Grizzly Bear oustayed its welcome a couple of years ago in Mayo (Yukon Territory). It seems it hadn't found enough food for it to go into hibernation and so started to visit town to scavenge. Anyway it ended up breaking into a B&B and trashing the place in search of food (I've seen the photos - I mean trashed!). The locals tried to trap it, to no avail, so in the end they had to shoot it for everyone's safety. Whatever - I hope I never meet a grumpy Grizzly (or indeed, any Grizzly) on the trail...

There's some more detail on the bear here if you're interested. (Look for "B&E At The B&B" about 1/3 of the way down the page.)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can't show that bearbait - someone will be along to scream abuse for shooting teddy bears :D

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
70.jpg

this belonged to a`big` black bear in alaska !! it feared humans!! ,but hung around camp for a week - an gave me the ****s knowing it was out there - watching `me` !!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE