Bean tin stove

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I just had a crack at the Falk wood stove, great opportunity to make a lot of noise and mess, worth it, for that alone.

Used a double-size dog meat tin, tripe, IIRC and set about it with the Dremel cutting discs....consumed 4 discs.
Didnt have an old style "top-end" spanner for the intake holes, so drilled them.

Couple of feather sticks and away I went with the first burn up, happy as a pig in proverbial.

I dont have any outdoor cooking gear, so I grabbed the wifes porridge pan, still with the residue in it; whacked in about a pint of water.
I was impressed by just how a small amount of fuel was needed for a pretty fierce fire....but one stoking wasnt enough to bring to boil, hot yes.

Of course, I caught an earful, for blackening a good enamelled kitchen pan and so, later, tried the same stunt with an old aluminium thing, which didnt get anywhere near as hot, for the same amount of fuelling.

I am musing, now, the need for some utensils, but I,m curious about that aluminium pan; perhaps I should,ve seeded it with porridge gunge?

Ceeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao:

I remember nicking far too early spuds and tumshies from a neighbours garden(We were about 8 :rolleyes: ) and boiling them up in an old bean tin on our fire down the bottom of the garden. The fire was in front of my brother's pillbox that our dad had built half dug into the garden, we used the clay for making very bad pots :D
Anyway....the tin can heated up really well, the spuds and turnips cooked fine and were eaten and enjoyed ( the skelped lugs we got afterwards were just par for the course, we deserved them) Later when camping *properly* with aluminium pots and the like, I couldn't understand why they took sooooo long to boil and how much fire it took to keep them that way :confused: there's a lot to be said for a good steel pot......apart from the weight :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
What a lovely storey, I am laughing my socks off here. :lmao: :lmao:
Reminded me of "chudding" for apples.

Usually had to clamber over a glass sharded wall, cut to hell, backside hanging out of pants.......andthen a skelping!!!!!

I tell you, the young uns of today have no idea of how to enjoy themselves :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

atb
Ceeg

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
On my little stove type thing that i have a fire in, i have a kettle. I read in a thread somewhere that if you put washing up liquid on the pot/kettle and wipe it around and let it dry, when you come to clean it, the black comes off easy. Its just a whipe. I made a stove from a beans tin, but my stove that i bought is better. I keep meaning to get a bigger beans tin and make one, but i keep seem to just put them in the re-cycling bin. I havent used my pan yet on my fire, but on my gas stove it boiled water quick, i dont think its as fast as my fire. But a good tip for cleaning is dont let what your burning touch the pan/ kettle. It makes it harder to clean. I think pine cones burn well and last a while. I just keep getting material. I even use the small beans tin to put wood in and other stuff i can burn.
As for utensils, when i started all i had was a ramblers stove, a small pan and i had to get knifes and forks out the draw. Now i have a kettle, the same small pan, a fire stove and still knifes and forks out the draw. You dont need too much, a pan can do alot, but if you wont to cook something and boil water its quicker to have a kettle and a pan. My kettle is only a small one and will do about 3 cups and my fire stove will boil that in about 5mins.

The best thing to do is look around in camping shops, its amazing what stuff you can get to cook with. Or you could use another beans tin.

Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE