Beach Canoe Camp

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Had a wee beach camp with work last night, scenic paddle down the Lochay then an Island beach camp. Stayed dry till 10.20pm.

Had to tie and guy the tents using the open canoes as sand is hard to peg out a tent in !

Canoes used to guy out tents, pegs don't work in sand. by Scotstechy, on Flickr

River Lochay by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Traditional Scottish fayre, fried tatty scones.

Team Breakfast ! by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Quick paddle back.

Nearly ready to leave, an hour ahead of schedule. by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Team Effort by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
We had three. Two still in a drybag. Basically we get pans boiling and a kettle boiling for hot chocs, pasta, rice, noodles etc. Very stable for group cooking. Then brekkie, mega pans of chipolatas, lorne sausage etc. You can squeeze three eggs in one pan.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Had to tie and guy the tents using the open canoes as sand is hard to peg out a tent in !

I can recommend these for sandy pitches
pi_16627.jpeg

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16627&category_id=253

(no connection with seller etc)

ooops, when they're in stock :sad6:

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
We have no budget, so we use the standard pegs for grass. That beach was exposed fully to the east, a 25mph gusty wind form the east was forecast so we took no chances. The canoes are bombproof anchors. The Vango tents are not geodisic but mine is.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I'd never really thought about it before but apart from getting sand in the weave of the guy lines without a canoe a dead man bury would work well in sand, you could use original pegs or be better with larger sticks you found.

Or use a "dim-sum" bury with little squares of cloth or something filled with sand, it would weigh nothing and cost almost as little.
Think
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=di...UfS0IaKM0wWPv4GgCg#biv=i|53;d|atmLjz6DGX3HqM:

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ahh I wondered if it was DofE when I saw all the trangias. I loved doing DofE, but we never got to go canoeing!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE