BCUK Spyderco Sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ParaWill

Oct 14, 2009
York
Hi guys,

Sorry in advance for posting yet another sharpening question.

I ordered one of the above knives when the seconds could still be gotten hold of. I'd never noticed any problems when sharpening it with my waterstones, however recently I looked really closely at the blade. I thought (from the pattern made during sharpening) that the blade may be slightly convex. So I dug out a permanent marker, covered the blade and sharpened away.

The result? It looks to me to be slightly conves, but not in a good way! Some ink was left at the very top of the grind, and some on the very edge, with the middle of the blade getting polished perfectly smooth.

Any ideas? Is it my technique (never had a problem with my moras), the stones (I've flattened them to see if that was the problem) or do I need to spend a whlie with a very coarse stone flattening the blade?

Thanks guys and gals,

Will

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Originally, the new blade would have been very slightly convex, so it is either your technique or slightly worn stone that have acheived this result. Whetstones do wear quite easily and need to be flattened regularly if you like perfect zero ground blades.

If it is your technique, then it is easily remedied by concentrating on the right angle until the edge is back to normal.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
If you have used a different stone to the one you tested it on with the marker pen then I'd say that stone needs lapping (flattening) if it was the same stone then more likely technique.

From what you say it sounds like your technique is pretty good or you would have just repeated the mistakes of before surely (ie grinding a convex bevel with a flat stone). I'd check your stones.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I bought my first waterstones last weekend and immediately got to work taking a small chip out of my Spyderco. I had no problems getting it back to shaving sharp.
The stones were brand new and therefore very flat. Probably just your stone needing a bit of a service.
Good luck,

PREPER............. :)

ParaWill

Oct 14, 2009
York
Thanks guys, I'll get grinding them stones! I guess they do get a lot of use with my global kitchen knives as well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE