BCUK Canadian Canoe Expedition 12th May - 21st May 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This sounds very interesting! Question though:

I live in the region (NS, by the time this trip happens I may have moved to Newfoundland). If I were to do this I would probably drive there, and I would be able to bring my own canoe and canoe equipment. Since I wouldn't need to rent a canoe or equipment, and can transport my own, would the price be different?

Thanks

Beautiful place to live, I used to live in Dartmouth & Liverpool NS and I lived in NF (cornerbrook), my favourite of the lot so i'm a little envious :D

I'll find out an answer to this one or you, thanks for your patience :D

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Just to support Tony's reply, I did the BCUK Advanced Arctic trip with Woody and co. It was excellent and a real bargain; I'm sure the canoeing trip will be the same and I've signed up for it. Just hope it will go ahead.

It's true that many of these trips don't go ahead. Not Tony's or Woody's fault, it's the BCUK membership that, unfortunately, don't take up these bargain opportunities. If you want them to happen, sign up - nothing to lose as you'll get your deposit back if the trip is cancelled.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Whilst Bushcraft Expeditions are a competitor of mine. We both run bushcraft trips and canoeing etc. I think anyone booking on this trip would have a fantastic time and learn loads from very knowledgeable people. I have heard nothing but praise for Woody's trips.

Bushcraft Expeditions is a well respected member of the bushcraft community. The price for he trip is very competitive and I don't think I would be able to offer it that.

Generally the price is queried by people who have no idea the amount of effort it takes to run a professional expedition that ensures every client has a fantastic time and returns home with wonderful memories.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I am definitely maybe on this one. Wont know if i can wangle it until closer to the time though. Will really try. Looks like it will be amazing.

elliott92

Mar 6, 2012
surrey
1) Bushcraftsman
2) Briantrubshaw
3) hertsboy
4) Imagedude
5) TedW
6) DaveyM (maybe)
7) elliott92 (will pay my deposit in a couple of weeks if thats okay please)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)

-- MINIMUM --

13)
14)
15)
16)

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
bump, not filled yet, amazing, if I was financially and physically fit enough me name would be on that list, bargain, maybe next year for me,

Regards,
ship

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
I watch these closely, flight ok! then I add on all the kit its a sort of maybe?!, but then I look
at the success rate? so I put a deposit down, go out and start building up my kit for that particular environment so I don't
look like a numpty when im there and not scurrying round like a borrower!
Ive just done my ******** on a trip that is not going to happen and its then about Ebay!! and the obvious
downer of looking like a mug to you friends and family when you shrug and say "aint happening is it"
Its all great for the guys that can just whack a deposit down and buy kit at the last minute when its got the
green light, but unfortunately for most of us mortals it does not work like that.
I appreciate you would be taking a risk saying "OK ITS GOING WHATEVER" but what do you think your asking
your clients todo? a washout trip would have more of a financial impact on us as individuals than you
as an organiser. You have to work a week for free, we have just done our years vacation money on stuff we don't need
and booked time off work!
do you get where im coming from here?
Do you think if you took a risk and set it in stone it would be vastly more likely to go ahead? I do!
But if your not prepared to take a risk why should I?
this is with all due respect and its just a personal observation and frankly what currantly turns me off
with your trips.

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Well I'm still up for it, who else is? Only a month to get that deposit in folks.

Stig, It is great that I can "just whack a deposit down" as I had litterally years to save up for it due to the very reasonable amount of time given by the organisers. I also did not have to buy a single bit of kit for the trip as I had all the basic camping kit ten years ago when I got into bushcraft and a furthur fifteen years ago before that camping out as a teenager. The rest is provided for you. If I did have to buy kit and it didn't go ahead, then I could go bushcrafting in the uk for free couldn't I ?
Dont worry about looking like a numpty, as long as your warm, dry and comfy theres no issue. Get ex militery kit its cheap and works.

I'm willing to take a risk on it even though money is really tight at home as I simply want to go, and the price is right.

Woody

Forager
I watch these closely, flight ok! then I add on all the kit its a sort of maybe?!, but then I look
at the success rate? so I put a deposit down, go out and start building up my kit for that particular environment so I don't
look like a numpty when im there and not scurrying round like a borrower!
Ive just done my ******** on a trip that is not going to happen and its then about Ebay!! and the obvious
downer of looking like a mug to you friends and family when you shrug and say "aint happening is it"
Its all great for the guys that can just whack a deposit down and buy kit at the last minute when its got the
green light, but unfortunately for most of us mortals it does not work like that.
I appreciate you would be taking a risk saying "OK ITS GOING WHATEVER" but what do you think your asking
your clients todo? a washout trip would have more of a financial impact on us as individuals than you
as an organiser. You have to work a week for free, we have just done our years vacation money on stuff we don't need
and booked time off work!
do you get where im coming from here?
Do you think if you took a risk and set it in stone it would be vastly more likely to go ahead? I do!
But if your not prepared to take a risk why should I?
this is with all due respect and its just a personal observation and frankly what currantly turns me off
with your trips.

Hey Stig!

Thanks for your post and excuse me for not explaining why I cant take that risk. Its all very long winded and wouldnt be very professional of me to do so. I hope you understand.

In light of your comments i have researched a few other canoe trips you may be interested in (see links below) which I should think have a better chance of running. (be aware though, I would advise reading their terms and conditions in detail, I think you will find they all work a minimum numbers policy or a variation on the theme. Its standard business practice these days. I would also read up on their cancellation policy ... I may be wrong, but I dont think you will get a 100% refund if they do cancel for this reason).

Any way, I hope you find one that works for you.

Best wishes

Woody.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_C...oe-Expedition-with-Ray-Mears-and-Becky-Mason/

http://www.exodus.co.uk/holidays/afy/overview

http://www.grandamericanadventures.com/tours/canoeing-in-canada-yukon.html

Becky

Forager
Nov 11, 2005
west midlands
Dear All
We regret to say that the above expedition is cancelled due to insufficient numbers. I will email you regarding your refund.
Regards
Becky

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Very disappointing, but not surprising, unfortunately. Thanks, anyway, Woody and team.

Wonder if there's any chance of the Jungle exped going ahead? Dream on!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
A real shame :(
It would have been a top quality trip at a really good price, and there seemed to be plenty of interest early on.
Recon I'll get my open canoe training on the local river with a club, then plan my own exped to Sweden.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I have done half a dozen canoe trips for UK clients and many for locals and have never had one cancelled. I simply restructure the trip to fit the needs of the group if someone drops out. Of course I have extremely low overhead, minimal profit, and almost no staff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE