Then away to the heart of the deep unknown, where the trout and the wild moose are. Where the fire burns bright, and the tents gleam white, under the northern star.
Albert Bigelow Paine, Tobeatic, 1908
Albert Bigelow Paine, Tobeatic, 1908
The Bushcraft UK, Canadian canoe expedition is a 10 day wilderness canoe trip led by certified UK guides and canoe instructors into one of Canada's many pristine wilderness reserves – The Tobeatic wilderness area of Nova Scotia. The expedition is a "no frills" low cost opportunity to experience top of the range instruction, deep in this unspoilt environment.
During the expedition, students will be expected to participate in routine tasks around the camp such as firewood collection, water collection, and general camp duties. Accommodation will be in tents or under tarps, wild camping on the banks of the rivers and lakes.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING A BOOKING.
Course provider: Bushcraft Expeditions/Truenorthoutdoors
Minimum numbers: 12
Maximum numbers: 16
Minimum age: 18 (16 if accompanied by an adult)
Date of Expedition: Monday 12th May – Wednesday 21st May 2014
Expedition go/no go date: 15th February 2014
Duration: 10-day itinerary. Arriving day one/departing day ten.
Timings and pick-up/drop off:
RV time 17:00hr on the 12th May at the Goodwin hotel, Weymouth, NS.
Drop off for travel home 12:00hr on the 21st at the Goodwin Hotel, Weymouth, NS.
(Details and best means of getting to the RV will be emailed to signed up members of the expedition. The cost to get from the airport to Weymouth is approximately £38 at the time of writing.)
Accommodation and catering:
Accommodation: Students provide own tents or tarps
Catering: The Expedition is on a self-catering basis. Rations can be purchased locally on day one but it is recommended that students bring dehydrated or similar rations from UK. Rations will be cooked over open fires or on student provided cookers.
Expedition Cost and payment details:
Expedition Cost: £780.00 (Fully inclusive of VAT)
A Non refundable deposit of £120.00 is required on booking – THIS DEPOSIT WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL IF THE EXPEDITION DOES NOT GO AHEAD
Final payments: payable immediately from the 15th February 2014 if expedition takes place and by no later than 15th March. (any one failing to pay their final payment by the 15th March 2014 will lose their deposit and forfeit their place to a reserve)
All bookings and payments should be made directly to Bushcraft Expeditions by the following means:
To pay by credit/debit card:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.
To pay by Paypal:
Contact Becky in the Bushcraft Expeditions office on 01432 356700 or on the email address below. You will need to provide your full name, address, contact (email and phone) details, and BCUK user name. Do not make any payment until you have confirmed your booking with Bushcraft Expeditions office.
inforequest@bushcraftexpeditio ns.com (use this email address for Paypal payments)
To pay by bank transfer:
If paying directly into the bank by bank transfer etc please phone the number above for the account details. You will need to provide your full name, address, bank/card and contact (email and phone) details and BCUK user name.
All payments are by secure means.
On receipt of your booking and clearance of your deposit, all paper work will be sent via email.
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT NO STUDENTS BOOK FLIGHTS OR PURCHASE EXPEDITION EQUIPMENT OR FOOD UNTIL THE EXPEDITION HAS BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TAKING PLACE. NIETHER BUSHCRAFT UK OR BUSHCRAFT EXPEDITIONS WILL BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY EXPENSE AS A RESULT OF STUDENTS NOT COMPLYING WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT
1. Outfitting, kit and equipment for a canoe expedition.
2. Tandem Canoe skills on open still and moving water.
3. Daily routine and considerations for canoe travel.
4. Expedition medical procedures.
5. Fire lighting and fire husbandry.
6. Tracking and stalking.
7. Traps and trapping.
9. water safety.
10. Field cookery.
11. Riverine Navigation.
Included in the price:
1. Full instruction in Bushcraft and Survival from certified UK/English speaking Guides.
2. Full instruction in open Canadian canoeing and canoe expeditionary skills.
3. All internal transfers from/to the meeting point to the put in point.
4. Camping fees and permits throughout.
5. Local site fees on day one.
6. Fully trained on site expedition medical cover.
7. Canoe transport fees and pick up fees
8. Nova Scotia Fishing licence.
9. Canoe, paddles, PFD's and ancillary canoe safety equipment.
Not included in the cost:
1. International flights/transport to designated meeting point.
2. Any additional activities other than those stated.
3. Clothing and equipment hire other than that stated
4. Meals during the expedition.
5. Trip/cancellation insurance.
6. Local visitors Fishing permit (For those that wish to fish) Price TBC - normally approx $20 CAN
Optional equipment hire available:
1. Small, medium and large waterproof canoe bags @ £TBC per day
2. 2 man Tents @ £TBC
Kit and Equipment requirements:
Clothing you will need to bring:
- Light weight quick drying "Cargo" type trousers (1 pair)
- Long sleeve shirt (1)
- Walking socks (3 pairs)
- Large brimmed sun hat or similar
- Light weight Wellington boots
- Evening/relaxation wear
- Shorts/swimming trunks
- lightweight boots (for when ashore)
- Warm fleece or similar. (for evenings)
- Rain wear (Trousers and jacket)
Equipment you will need to bring:
- Rucksack or Holdall (65-70 ltr) with waterproof liner if not hiring canoe bag (No hard cases)
- 3 season sleeping bag
- Small travel pillow (optional, but recommended)
- Water bottle (1 ltr min) and mug and plate/bowl
- Cooking utensils and cooker
- Fixed blade sheath type knife
- Small pocket knife
- Small Axe (Optional)
- Orienteering Compass
- 10 metres of strong nylon cord
- Note book and pencil
- Wash bag and toiletries (Including toilet paper)
- Head torch and spare batteries
- Personal Medications
- Small personal medical kit containing plasters, aspirin etc
- Sun block
- Mosquito repellent
- Water purification tablets or Iodine (Sufficient for 8 litres a day x 8 days)
Last edited by a moderator: