BCNW-01 or Timberwolf Bushcraft Knife

Sep 19, 2010
Germany
Hi ,

I'm looking to get a new Bushcraft knife , i currently have a Helle Eggen it's a nice knife, but i want something new.
I'm on to go to choice between this two knives:

BCNW-01 and the TimberWolf Bushcraft Knife

Both cost about 200€ so thats not the problem.

What will be your choice between them? And why?
Thanks in advance!

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
Hey, might be worth speaking to Siberianfury on here as I believe he has both of these knives so might be able to give you a better insight! :)

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
BCNW-01
for me i like the idea behind it and i found his video the other day and it made sense.
it also looks right.
i have to say though i am not an expert

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
first thing i would ask is what do you want your knife to be better at? carving or chopping?

the northwest has a great handle and narrow blade which is brilliant for carving, however the balance and lack of a pommel make chopping uneffective.
the timberwolf is a bit heavyer with a more confortable handle, higher grinds but is a bit more awkward to use for finer tasks.

the northwests grinds are fully flat whereas the timberwolfs grinds are ever so slighty convexed, which makes it better for battoning and chopping but sacrificing a bit of bite when carving.

they are both in O1 tool steel and ive not realy noticed any diffrence in edge retention between the two of them, personaly i would go for the timberwof for the comfy handle, free firesteel and high grinds.

Sep 19, 2010
Germany
Thanks for the replies.
Premiere i use the knife for carving.
Chopping is secundary, most of the time i having a saw, or sometimes an axe, with me.

Has the missing pommel negative effects on battoning?

burnsy1979

Jan 12, 2011
fife
hello if it helps i just got my timberwolf after watching siberianfury's video on you tube and boy what a knife it is, a pure beast of a knife, everything about screams quality .think i'll have this one for a very very long time .hope it helps

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I can't comment on the Timberwolf but the BCNW 01 is a great knife - well thought out and made and, despite being a 4mm hunk of steel, it is still remarkably adept at carving tasks. I did have a few problems with the bamboo slabs on mine and eventually had it rehandled and a new sheath made. Now, it's a really good, understated workhorse that will perform any task you ask of it.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i could do you a knife with custom sheath how you like it, ie, left hand or right hand cross-draw with in reason how you want it.....

i have a custom 20cm overal, 4mm thick 10cm blade O1 tool steel RC 59-60 with tiger wood scales and brass pins and stainless lanyard tube, it will be up in the classifieds thread later today or 2moz....

regards...

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE