BBQ Forge?

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
I'm sure this is in here somewhere - unless its an even dafter question than I suspect :confused: - but I can't find it, so...

Can a shop-bought BBQ be used as a basic home forge? Don't know if they get, or can get, hot enough or if there might be other issues?

Thanks

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
I've made 3 knives from scratch, using BBQ for heat treatment and all came out fine. Had one tested too and was 59rc. There are loads of tutorials about. Try British blades.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Are you wanting a forge for forging steel to shape or a heat source for heat-treating your blades?

I figure that a ground forge is much better than a barbeque. It's essentially a hole the size of your two fists put together dug into the earth, and an air pipe poked into the side of the hole.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Initially I'm just after a convenient heat source for annealing/heat treating. The BBQ thought was about convenience more than anything as I don't have any grounds.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
My first one was a BBQ and I blew air on it using an airline. For take 2, I then drilled holes in the bottom of it, fixed a tin can underneath, enclosing the holes, and attached the airline to the can via a metal pipe and some hose. Worked well and could easily get files to non magnetic. Progressed a little since then though

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
My first one was a BBQ and I blew air on it using an airline. For take 2, I then drilled holes in the bottom of it, fixed a tin can underneath, enclosing the holes, and attached the airline to the can via a metal pipe and some hose. Worked well and could easily get files to non magnetic. Progressed a little since then though

Thats what I had in mind - there was one in B&Q today reduced to a tenner, 'pre-holed' an' all! Pretty sure I can rig an old fan to a diffuser underneath....think I'll give it a go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE