BBc Last Man Standing - Kalaplo - fishing technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Did anyone see this last night ?

" Last Man Standing
1/8. Kalapalo Wrestling: Six men compete against the most remote tribes on earth at their own sports. They're in the Brazilian jungle to wrestle with Kalapalo Warriors"

OK the above was only mildly entertaining - however the losers went fishing using a technique seen before - that of poisoning the fish with mashed roots of some tree.

However, the fish , rather than simply floating to the surface, this poison ( or maybe the fishes own defence ) caused the fish to LEAP !! into boats ! was very funny seeing it happen

Loz

Outdoorsman

Feb 24, 2007
Wiltshire
I was watched that last night, I though it was brilliant!! It was funny how all of the tribe worshiped the big black dude, but he couldn’t even win a fight lol. I’ll definitely watch the rest of the series. Oh, not a clue about the root I’ve only heard about poisoning fish with root as well. If any one missed it its on again tonight at 11.00pm

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
It was funny did you see the faces of the tribe when the bmx guy got a draw and the big guy got beat, all muscle no speed! Im nearly sure but i could be wrong i heard about a plant sap that when put in the water it reduces the oxygen content making the fish come to the surface where the water is more oxygenated, they could have been using a more powerful one causing the fish to hurl themselves clear instead??

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I didn't see the program but know that the Baka tribe use a similar technique of grinding dried roots in order to catch fish in the rainforest. They set up gill nets and then stir the powder into the water upstream before casually returning to collect the fish from the nets.

I have spend many an hour pondering how the tribes people figured all that out:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE