Bay tree use question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I have just cut down part of a bay tree growing in my garden, the girth of the resulting log is about 8" by roughly 5'.
Anyone have any ideas as to a use I can put it to, it's very hard wood with very little spring in it, arromatic and very white colouration even after seasoning.
I have another three this size to come down later in the year and it seems a waste to just burn it or dump it.
The reason for removal is they have got too tall and are not safe in high winds.

Andy

ps Could it be used like camphor wood as an arromatic blanket box liner.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
You! - get yer coat! - we won't have any flippant comments like that!
doorui9.gif

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
That's probably why it's hard to cut down, not hard wood but a blunted saw.

Nice one Brown Bear:slap: , I found it as a sapling in an old pig sty.
Yes it's a bay of pigs.

Andy

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
You could split it up for bow staves and make some bows.
I have a bow I made from a bay, mind you it is as ugly as hell but a 70# and the first bow I every made I just love it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
yeah it's kind of brutal on chainsaws, I cut down tons last year. For something that grows so flamin fast it's way to tough.

You're not wrong, I cut loads of it and left it for a year or so before logging. Hard as nails.

It does move a lot while seasoning, a thinnish ring that I thought would make a rough bread board warped badly. I have to say, it makes the most wonderful aromatic and bright burning wood and I wouldn't be too saddened to see it used as such. Although it seems like a waste, it really burns well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE