Battle of Albuera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Another British military anniversary, today is the 202nd anniversary of the Battle of Albuera in the Peninsular War, which I first read about in a book called Impossible Victories (well worth a read if you can find it, especially if you're a bit of a history buff like I am). It's notable because it was won not by tactical brilliance but by the British soldiers refusal to withdraw despite suffering almost 45% casualties, prompting one of my favourite quotes from history from Marshal Soult in his report;

"There is no beating these troops, in spite of their generals. I always thought they were bad soldiers, now I am sure of it. I had turned their right, pierced their centre and everywhere victory was mine – but they did not know how to run!"

Just sharing a bit of history from some often forgotten soldiers.
Cheers
Matt

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I rather liked Wellsley's comment when french officers turned their back on him at a Vienna ball and a lady apologised for their rudeness

I have seen their backs before madam

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE