Battery generators - what & why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have an Ecoflow Delta Max 2000 along with 2 x Ecoflow Delta Max Smart batteries giving me 6kW of storage. With 2 x 400W solar panels the system provided around half my electricity for 6 months last year, running the fridge, freezer, washing machine, microwave, breadmaker, miscellaneous charging jobs (phone, iPad, LED lanterns, etc.). As it is doing now as we "speak".

I also have a Jackery Explorer 1000 with 2 x 100W panels. This generally powers the TV, video, satbox, and occasionally one or other of the PCs during those same 6 months. Also misc. charging jobs. The panels aren't waterproof so, if necessary, I occasionally charge it from the Ecoflow. Also portable for camping!

Expensive setup, but it saves me a few bob even though, for me, there is no break-even / payback point. It's comfortable knowing that I have a useful backup when things go awry. I also have an old Honda 2500 petrol generator, which could be called into action if necessary, albeit not connected into the house system (yet). I have some Aspen Long Life Fuel for this, which has a life of 5 years. Expensive, but better than petrol sitting there in the genny, going off...'til you need it!
That's a very impressive setup. I confess that as good as the Jackery marketing is, solar panels that aren't waterproof was a big red flag for me. Bang for you buck the Ecoflow seems to be the current best bet.

I fitted a propane kit to our Honda gennie for the very reasons of fuel life ;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That's a very impressive setup. I confess that as good as the Jackery marketing is, solar panels that aren't waterproof was a big red flag for me. Bang for you buck the Ecoflow seems to be the current best bet.

I fitted a propane kit to our Honda gennie for the very reasons of fuel life ;)
Yep, solar panels that can’t cope with the rain is just bonkers.

Reactions: British Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE