Battered Spam at Sewell's Cave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
So drill a hole - eye bolt in - tighten with spanner ? wonder if you can then take them back out ?
I'm thinking they could be used to hang a 'Hammock' under an overhang or between boulders :thinkerg:

Climbers use some things that look like a big nut on a short wire stop, for jamming in nooks and crannies. If they'r good enough to hang a body off, they should be ok with a hammock.

Providing there's x2 nooks/crannies 10' apart at the right height :dunno:
I can think of quite a few sheltered rocky places that would be hard for tent or tarp
but with a couple of 'bolts' ideal for a hammock set up :beerchug: Danny

yes, abseil down from top to desired poistion, drill hole and insert bolt, there are two types of bolts, one is an ''expanding'' type where you just tighten up with spanner and it expands inside hole to grip rock, the other type is fixed with a resin, and yes the expanding type can be removed with a spanner but the resin type is a permanent fixture. The expanding bolt holds a hanger in place when it's tightened up to fix a carabiner to. A hammock can be slung off these bolts but there are easier ways (which does not damage the rock), there are all sorts of what is called ''protection'' that can be used, ''protection'' is just a name for anything that is stuffed/wedged into a crack which the climber attaches himself too to keep him safe if he falls, nuts/cams/hex's etc are all types of climbing protection to insert into crack, they are of a different size range to cover different size cracks, the climber will carry a range of sizes of protection suitable for particular climbs, these nuts/cams/hex's etc are better for slinging a hammock off as they don't need be drilled into the rock and are just wedged in, however the trouble for hammocking is you might need to carry a range of different sizes to cover different size cracks unless you know beforehand what size you need. Climbers do sleep on hammocks suspended from this type of protection (I have done myself) but bear in mind they will be carrying a range of different sized protection anyway to be used for the actiual climbing itself. Just to add you can use lots of things to stuff in a crack in the rock to hold a hammock, for example before the invention of modern climbing protection ordinary threaded nuts were used (which is why the modern ones are still called nuts even though they look nothing like one). It is even possible to just use knotted rope to hold in a crack, though I would not advise this unless you had a good knowledge of knots and ropework and leverage and breaking strains (shown as KN on climbing ropes/devices). Finally sport climbing has mixed feelings in the climbing fraternity in the Uk because of ethics but that's not relevant here, sport climbers do not need to carry any artificial protection like nuts/cams because that is what those fixed bolts are for.

By the way I loved the photo of the ''U'' shaped tree (pic 20/21), it's amazing how such trees hold on to rock by just their roots, just imagine the leverage that tree is putting on the rock.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Rich, thanks for the photo link.
in no way do I want to start an argument, or advocate bolting without permission.
but like the ‘rock line’ at :- http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138269
I have permission, certainly to camp I did also ask it the bolts could be unbolted and taken out ?
there doesn’t seem much respect shown for Sewell’s cave which must be an important archaeological site
Sewells%20bolted_zps2hew3tne.jpg~original

and every cliff face I passed had more than one line of bolts from the start at cave Ha to Sewell’s cave (600 yards) there’s Hundreds !
rock%20bolts_zps9jnt4uai.jpg~original

No doubt if I say what difference will two 1/4” holes make ? someone will say well if everybody did it ! but how many would ?

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im more interested in the bones.

How long do you think they were there for?

I see a pelvis, skull, couple of shoulder blades and a bit of spine. All the other bits gone?

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Im more interested in the bones.

How long do you think they were there for?

I see a pelvis, skull, couple of shoulder blades and a bit of spine. All the other bits gone?

Hello Tengu, I think all the bones are there, the lighter bones (rib etc.) have gone down the hill and the heavier leg bones are above the rock the skull was on I turned it over to photograph the teeth,
teeth.jpg

then turned it back to how I found it. with the amount of moss growing on it and last years leaves on it, how long has it been there :news:
I don't know

bottom%2Bjaw.jpg

That looks a fun day.

Forest dweller, there are extensive caves in Korea but Im not sure where.

(In a limestone area,obviously.)

I have been to lava tubes(caves) on jeju-do and in a limestone cave somewhere in the middle of the country---- but both were tourist attractions and full of rubberneckers...... :puppy_dog but no small caves for private use (only the occasional small bunker or machine gun position from the Korean war or the local cold war.....)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE