basket making

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
hi all any one gide me in the right direction please would like to have a go at making a basket. any help ie tools materials ect would be greatly appreciated

Well, you can make baskets out of a lot of things, wood splints, rush, jute, cord, pine needles. I suggest you look around your area and see what's been used historically, then have a go. Lots of great information online. It's pretty easy, really, once you get the base started. I've made baskets from pine needles, and willow.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If you are after a beginners' book, Handmade Baskets by Susie Vaughan is a reasonable introduction. She covers both materials and techniques and after reading the book you are likely to see basket making materials everywhere you look. Garden trimmings start to look useful rather than something for the compost heap.

Geoff

If you are after a beginners' book, Handmade Baskets by Susie Vaughan is a reasonable introduction. She covers both materials and techniques and after reading the book you are likely to see basket making materials everywhere you look. Garden trimmings start to look useful rather than something for the compost heap.

Geoff

I bought this book for a friend and she found it excellent. Plenty of food for thought and tips. She was annoyed having read it that she had seen a variety of basketry tools in second hand shops and boot sales that she never new what they were for before.

Rule of thumb, if you can hold the material in your hand and it will bend without splitting around your wrist or hand then it is suitable for basketry!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE