Basic Tree ID Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2015
London
Hello, I'm a beginner trying to learn plant species.

After walking through my local woods, there are a few plants I can't identify with the book. Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:

A.
K3LFfLV.jpg

(White poplar?)

B.
6OZ2Z9p.jpg

C.
Pf1J7iw.jpg

D.
lYv8ySc.jpg

(Spindle?)

E.
a9hjX3h.jpg

F.
KvFJSg5.jpg

G.
8BK6VBh.jpg

(Sweet Chestnut?)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Mate and welcome to the Forum,
it's great that you are out there learning new things, this place is a mine of information.
as to your pics;
A: looks like Black Poplar to me
B: Privit
C: I could be mistaken here but i'm thinking Whitebeam as is F, just different ages of tree
D: not really a clear enough pic, but not spindle, looks more like rosebay willow herb but a wider shot may help.
E: Ivy
F: Whitebeam again
G: yup, it's HorseChestnut

Hope this helps.
Also, if you are interested in gathering a library, i can give you a list of some very good books, most of ours we got secondhand from Amazon and Evilbay.
Good luck

Baggins

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A is Poplar, either White Poplar, or Grey Poplar which is a hybrid of White Poplar and Aspen. I think yours looks like WHite Poplar.
B Privet
C Whitebeam
D Buddleja/Buddleia
E Ivy
F Whitebeam (but probably a non-wild variety)
G is definitely sweet chestnut. Nothing else it can be.

Aug 12, 2015
London
Cheers guys, I really appreciate your help on this! I remember G being really waxy and tough; it was planted on a roadside with lots of other non-native trees.

Baggins, thank you for the warm welcome! I'd love to know your top picks for books. I've heard Collins Complete Guide to British Trees is pretty good.

Ps. I too agree on the name 'evilbay'

luke5050

Jun 18, 2015
Loughton, Essex
I recommend you download an app called Tree ID. It comes on android. It covers many species with lots of pictures and information.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE