Basic minimal kit taken on one nighters.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Hi guys,

Bushcraft wise, im mainly interested in one night stands (or camps) :cool:

Would you be so kind to give me advice on the sort of basic kit you take on a one nighter, what type of grub, how much water, etc.

I hope to be going on one tommorrow and have whittled (Pardon the pun) my kit down to only the items I essentially need/use.

Highlander Force Day Lite 10 litre
Two 500ml bottles of water.
3 ration meals.
2 MOD mess tins.
KFS
MOD I.P.K I use as a small tarp or hammock depending on the weather.
Pocket knife
Firesteel
Plasters, etc
Waterproofs
Hand line fishing kit
Candle.

Is there anything there which you would reccomend I do not need or could be replaced or anything to be added.

What would you pack? :)

Thankyou.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sleeping bag? I find it's only just a bit nippy outside, though you may well be a warm sleeper ;)

Fishing kit - are you planning on catching dinner? Make sure though you have permission and necessary licences.

Waterproofs - on an overnight I'd only take them if the weather forecast says it'll rain. Maybe an extra warmth layer?

I'd add a lighter as a second aid in firelighting.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Id dump one or even two of the ration meals chap, loads of calorific energy in just one, i'm sure your active but do you really need that much food for a day and a night? maybe one meal and a snack?

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I wear an extra jumper, etc and my waterproofs instead of a sleeping bag.

There is a running stream nearby that I boil for water.

And on second thoughts. I may just aswell just take a normal lighter and only two meals.

Toilet roll wise, do I need it for only one night?

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I am not even sure I would go with that little kit in summer.

my min kit would be.
tarp
sleeping mat
sleeping bag
bivi (in this weather)

SAT with folding cup.
spoon
meths
2 ltrs water unless there a source.

head torch.
fire kit
FAK
saw

and food.

would get in 40 ltr backpack.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I wear an extra jumper, etc and my waterproofs instead of a sleeping bag.

There is a running stream nearby that I boil for water.

And on second thoughts. I may just aswell just take a normal lighter and only two meals.

Toilet roll wise, do I need it for only one night?

so you dont even take a roll mat? even in the army i loved my roll mat more than my gf!!! i wouldnt sleep on the ground without it unless you intend to weave a bed of evergreen branches together for insulation....

and you can buy flat pack travel toilet roll if you dont want to take a round one. even issue toffle tissue is fine... just grab a 60p pack of tissues.... svagnum moss works fine but not always available! heehe

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
At this time of year I'd take something you can easily/safely occupy yourself with in the dark ( not that ! ) . You could have 6-7 hours before crash time . So could be book , star map , knot cards etc , it going to vary from person to person and of course you may be the type who's happy to just sit . For me it takes away the urge to whittle in bad light .
Cheers , Trev .

P.S. I just realised you said minimal kit , but I'll post anyway .

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
and you can buy flat pack travel toilet roll if you dont want to take a round one. even issue toffle tissue is fine... just grab a 60p pack of tissues.... svagnum moss works fine but not always available! heehe

I just wait til the house roll is down to about an eigth of normal size. Flatten it and stick it in a ziplock bag.

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
What you cooking on, I see you have two issue mess tins, not the best things for cooking or boiling water if you only have a camp fire. The best way but takes time is to burn your fire right down and then place your mess tin in the hot embers . I am assuming your 3 ration meals are boil in the bag. May be a small hexy burner is what you need for the mess tins.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
IMG_0797.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE