Basha Hole

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
When sleeping out the other week in a downpour I discovered the hard way that there was a small hole in my basha close to the ridgeline.

What would be the best way to patch this up?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
This Stuff is great!;)

seamgrip.jpg

- no connection, blah blah blah!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Not very big, about the size of 2 matchsticks - material is PU coated Nylon I believe.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm sorry, I have to agree with Graham on this one. Duct tape will peel off after a while and leave a horrible sticky mess thats hard to clean and re-cover. I ripped a hole in my tent outer and this Seamgrip is incredibly tough. It's worth the £8 AND you'll have it for future damage. Great investment.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I'll have a look out for it so I can patch it up before my next outing, cheers guys.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could have a look in your local outdoor clothing shop. Ours sells a mixed pack of ready to use patches for £3.99. These are iron-on pieces intended for lots of use, such as around zips and pockets, so the stuff ought to be fine for a basha. I just used a teatowel on the surrounding fabric to stop any problems with the iron.

Cheers,
Toddy

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm going to second Dougster's notion about duct tape. In a dire emergency, yes, it would work. But it just doesn't do the same quality job that a seam sealer will do.

Adam

PS: If anyone out there ever has a problem with duct tape leaving a gummy mess after you peel it off, it comes of really easily with Zippo fluid. :)

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
hi scottC. could you use an ordinary bicycle puncture repair kit? flexible, good adhesive qualities, and put on the inside would be unobtrusive. After all, they`re good enough for wellington boots, why not a basha?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Never used the seam grip stuff, but if you can't find it, sew it with one of those side to side stitches on a sewing machine to gather the fabric together, then blather a load of silicone sealant on. I know a gut who did that to get rid of the hood on his old style poncho, he used the hood material to patch the hole and used silicone sealant and it never leaked.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Seam Grip is top stuff on PU nylon.
On silicone proofed nylon silicone sealant is the good stuff.
Lots of experience of fixing holes in lots of stuff thanks to expeds in Africa with lots of Acacia thorns around!
Gaffa(or Duck) tape is great for emergency repairs of almost anything - as they say "If you can't Duck it, **** it"!

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE