Base layers from which temperatures on?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
At which temperature do you put on longjohns if hiking and wildcamping?

Let's assume that you wear over it only the usual polyester - cotton mix trekking trousers or the usual army field trousers.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
At which temperature do you put on longjohns if hiking and wildcamping?

Let's assume that you wear over it only the usual polyester - cotton mix trekking trousers or the usual army field trousers.
For walking, when it’s below -10*C, or so, depending on the wind and how long you’ll be out for. For mooching around camp, I’d definitely need them on before then though!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I don't have a particular temperature where I will or will not put thermals on. If I'm chilly, on they go!

If I've been pushing hard all day, sweating profusely, they'll go on immediately after I've set up camp, changing out of my damp clothes into the thermals so i don't get a chill. If I'm sweaty from the days hike but its a warm evening, I'll let my sweat evaporate and dry the clothes with my body heat.

Once comfortable in camp, I usually cut about in a thermal base layer top and bottoms, with a light jacket over the top, hiking boots on my feet but unlaced. A fine figure on those bleak hills of an evening.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
@SaraR
At which temperature do you put them on in camp?
That's my main question here.
Oh, that really depends on the temperature and on the weather. In subzero temperatures, I prefer overtrousers (insulated or non-insulated depending on the situation), but might just wear baselayer bottoms underneath anyway.
In less cold temperatures, I might put waterproofs on at camp, or swap to baselayer + waterproofs, depending on the wind, how wet the ground/vegetation is and if my hiking trousers are wet or not. A bit like @Van-Wild really. Since I'm quite prone to after-drop, I often use the setting up camp time to let clothes dry out a bit, but after that I quickly put on more than I think I need and have a cup of hot tea.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
In a calm weather and spot about +5. No point in getting cold if it can be avoided and one is not trying to lose weight.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
LOL, we live in a 17 Century cruck barn; unless we want the heating running all day, we put thermals on quite frequently in the house :)

I reckon, if the UK Government dished out two pairs of decent thermals to everyone over 50, we could reduce our 'home heating' carbon footprint dramatically!

Danqrl

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2021
Derbyshire
If hiking I wouldnt put thermal leggings on but would have a marino base layer on my upper probably anywhere under 15-18C. When static and camping I would put them on just on a as needed basis, no real defined temperatures that would prompt it only the feel of chilling down.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
LOL, we live in a 17 Century cruck barn; unless we want the heating running all day, we put thermals on quite frequently in the house :)

I reckon, if the UK Government dished out two pairs of decent thermals to everyone over 50, we could reduce our 'home heating' carbon footprint dramatically!
That's pretty much the same reason I knit so many shawls and warm socks. :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I'm out in them there hills tomorrow for an overnighter. I'll let you know how I get on with my layers.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
After setting up camp and getting into the shelter for the night. I carry merino base layers in winter for the night which for me is November to around March/April. If the temperature is forecast to go below 5°c. I sleep quite cold so wear my base layers more When others maybe would not. I also have some down trousers and booties that are nice to wear in winter if it’s very cold.

Reactions: Erbswurst and SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE